Monday, March 14, 2011
Top Ten Tuesday: Characters in books that I wish were in my family
This week is all about those characters in books that we wish were in our family!
1. Atticus Finch (To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee)...a wonderful, articulate and intelligent father figure.
2. Henry Tilney (Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen)...a fun, understanding, and thoughtful big brother.
3. Stargirl (Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli)...an utterly unique cousin.
4. Marmie (Little Women by Louisa May Alcott)...a humanitarian-minded mother
5. August Boatwright (Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd)...an understanding, comforting aunt.
6. Elinor Dashwood (Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen)...a no-nonsense big sister who handles things well in a crisis yet is kind and a good friend.
7. Karl Shoemaker (Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes)...younger brother who is capable of helping without taking over and a great listener.
8. Enzo (The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein)...I want a dog like Enzo!
9. Isabel Dalhousie (The Sunday Philosophy Club by Alexander McCall Smith)...mother-in-law who considers herself a philosopher so never jumps to conclusions.
10. Antonio Corelli (Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis De Bernieres)...a grandpa who could sing in Italian and play me songs on his mandolin...and maybe take me for rides on his motorcycle.
11. Miss Love Simpson (Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns)...a step-mother who loves and plays with all her heart
12. Jean Valjean (Les Miserables by Victor Hugo)...a grandfather; dedicated to a righteous cause.
13. Frankie Landau-Banks (The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart)...a plucky younger sister full of self-confidence and charm.
This is just a funny, silly list. I actually love my family and wouldn't replace them with any literary characters, no matter how perfect they are.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Love your picks. We had a few of the same choices.ReplyDelete
My list is HERE
Atticus Finch and August Bowright are good ones. Im a new followerReplyDelete
Only one is common in our listings!
Here is my Top Ten Picks post!
Great picks! I also included Atticus! You also included a few that I forgot about, such as Henry Tilney.....good idea!ReplyDelete
I also had Atticus on my list. I loved the character of August Boatwright.ReplyDelete
I almost picked Enzo too. Stargirl was also a really good choice.ReplyDelete
ENZO!!! I added a cat to my "fictional family"...I should've added a dog, too! Great list.ReplyDelete
I really need to read these books. They show up week after week on so many people's lists. I just wish I had more time to read, lol.ReplyDelete
Great List! So many great characters to choose from it was hard to decide! Kaye—the road goes ever ever onReplyDelete
Interesting list and great choices,stop by and see mine.ReplyDelete
Ohhhh Atticus! I have a feeling he's been pretty popular this week :)ReplyDelete
Check out my list here: http://devouringtexts.blogspot.com/2011/03/top-ten-tuesday_15.html
Oh, this is a clever topic this week - I like your list! I just asked my son this question and he said, "Scooby Doo"! I guess he could be considered a book character - there are lots of books about him now. I'll have to give this one some thought, but I'm certainly with you on your first one - I've always wished I could know Atticus personally. Then again, if I were a kid again, I would want Scout to be my friend!ReplyDelete
I chose Stargirl as well! What a great character.ReplyDelete
I have Marmee on my list as well...but not as a mother (although there's obviously nothing wrong with her parenting skills) but as a sister.ReplyDelete