"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, March 28, 2016

TTT: 5-Star books read in 2016, so far

Top Ten Tuesday: Books with 5-star ratings.
Note: I have read 33 books in 2016 of these I gave 5-star ratings to 11 of the books, one third. Oddly they represent mostly nonfiction and poetry books. Apparently I am pretty picky and stingy with my 5-star ratings for fiction so far this year. 

In reverse order by date:

220005
1. Teaching with Fire: Poetry that Sustains the Courage to Teach
Edited by Sam Intrator and Megan Scribner
A favorite poetry book. 
One side of each page contains a small story how the educator is inspired by a particular poem. the other side of the page contains the poem. 
Print.
Reread: March 10th

25332115
2. The Sound of Gravel by Ruth Wariner
A memoir. 
Ruth grew up in a polygamous  family and community. this is her story and how she got out. Riveting. 
Audiobook.
Completed: March 9th

8520610
3. Quiet: the Power of Introverts in a World Which Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain
Nonfiction.
Ms. Cain pulls together all kinds of research on introversion/extroversion. This book gave me a lot of insights into my daughter and several of my students who are introverts. It lent itself to an excellent book club discussion.
Audio and Print.
Completed: March 3rd.

614054
4. The Voice that Challenged a Nation: Marion Anderson and the Struggle for Equal Rights 
by Russell Freedman
A YA nonfiction book about the famous African American singer who wasn't allowed to sing in an auditorium in Washington D.C. because of her color, so Eleanor Roosevelt had her sing at the Lincoln Memorial. This act help bring about equality in the Arts.
Inspiring.
Print.
Completed: March 1st.

23129884
5. Enormous Smallness: a Story of E.E. Cummings by Matthew Burgess
Nonfiction picture book for children.
I've always liked his poems and now I love them. What a treat!
Print.
Completed: Feb. 29th.

835249
6. Ten Poems to Change Your Life by Roger Housden
Poetry.
Housden's explanations and descriptions make poetry accessible to me. I've read all his poetry books and now am rereading them.
Print.
Reread: Feb 28th.

298949
7. Scottsboro, Alabama: A Story in Linoleum Cuts by Lin Shi Khan
Nonfiction. Art.
Another Black History Month read. This one is about an event which occurred in the 1930s which gained international attention, if it hadn't it would probably be another lynching story.
Fascinating and horrifying.
Print.
Completed: Feb. 23rd.

6387626
8. War Dances by Sherman Alexie
Short stories, poems, and essays.
Alexie shines the light on what it is like growing up Native American.
Funny and disturbing by turn.
Audiobook, read by the author.
Completed: Feb. 23rd.

24611522
9. Felicity by Mary Oliver
Poetry.
A slim volume full of poems about love by a favorite poet.
Print.
Completed: Jan. 27th.

23309551
10. Enchanted Air: Two Cultures, Two Wings by Margarita Engle
A memoir, written in verse.
The poetry in this memoir is exquisite.
Print.
Completed: Jan 24th

297673
11. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
Fiction.
The only fiction book on my list and it is a good one. A Pulitzer Prize winner for good reason.
Audiobook.
Completed: Jan 20th.

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and Bookish

27 comments:

  1. These all sound great - I haven't read any of them yet! You've had a great reading year so far! Mine has been good but not spectacular. I've only read one book so far in 2016 that really blew me away (Station Eleven).

    Great list!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I told you this on your blog, but I like Stations Eleven more now than when I just finished reading it. It has percolated well in my brain.

      Delete
  2. You are stingy with your fiction 5 star ratings! :)I am too though. Most of the excellent books I've read would get 4 stars, a couple 4 1/2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually adjusted a few of my reviews when I went back to prepare for this post. I may like a book well enough after I read it but if I can't remember details a few weeks later, ding.

      Delete
  3. Great list! I think that's pretty good that one-third of the books you've read this year are 5-stars; this year I'm lucky to have read more than 5 out of how many books I've read so far that I've given 5 stars too :3

    Also, I seem to be going through the classic poets at the moment so it's interesting to see more contemporary poets featured :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - Quiet is a wonderful hymn to us introverts out there. I felt validated reading that book :-)

    Thanks for popping by - I hope you can track down the Shaun Tan book quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Egads, I didn't write down the title. Let's see if I can figure it out. If not, I know where to find it...your page.

      Delete
  5. I'm really intrigued by Quiet! :-) Will have to look it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read that Quiet book by Susan Cain. Have been following her on twitter and have to say it has opened up my eyes and mind on introversion.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about Cain's Twitter. I will follow her.

      Delete
  7. You have an intriguing list! I agree with the Junot Diaz and the Mary Oliver and have Quiet on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read The Sound of Gravel too, and mentioned it on my blog today. Quiet looks good, as does Scottsboro. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are new to me.. Glad you enjoyed them

    Check out our TTT

    Leydy @ Once Upon A Twilight

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know about that Alexie book! I'm putting on my TBR! Love him! Thanks for stopping by today!
    Top 10 @Libby Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and after War Dances, read Flight (I'm assuming you've read The Absolutely True Diary of Part-Time Indian.)

      Delete
  11. There are some intriguing titles here, I must take a closer look!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm pretty picky when it comes to handing out those 5 stars. I want to make sure I'm giving them to the those really special books! And ah, I'm so happy to see Quiet on your list. I'll be reading that one soon, as I need to send it back to my friend. I'm not big on nonfiction, but as an introvert, I MUST read it. :D Thanks for checking out my top ten!

    Holly @ The Fox's Hideaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate nonfiction more as I've aged. I used to think of it as schooly and boring. Now when I spend time reading I want to learn something. I wouldn't say that QUIET was riveting but I certainly learned a lot.

      Delete
  13. I am going to add Quiet (my daughter is an introvert) and the Sound of Gravel to my TBR list so thank you for those recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My introvert asked me to read the book several years ago and I didn't get right on it. I'm sorry for the wasted years of not understanding her better. I understand that Ms. Cain has a Twitter account, I think I will follow her.

      Delete
  14. I've only read Quiet, but I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is an awesome list, and I've noted a few that I really want to look into. I'm not a teacher but I work in the education field, so Teaching With Fire looks amazing. I started Quiet about 2 years ago, and never got past the first 20% or so, but only becauses life was hectic then, lol. As a true introvert, I look forward to getting back into this book soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend Teaching Fire. It ignited a love of poetry in me.

      Delete
  16. What a diverse list! The Junot Diaz is a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty intimidated by The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao at first but really got into it. I listened to the audiobook which augmented the experience.

      Delete
  17. Fiction or no, it's nice you have a good list of 5-star reads! I'm terrible when it comes to nonfiction (as in, I don't read it), so when I do actually get through a nonfiction book that's good, it's kind of a big deal. ;)

    Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've heard so many great things about The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - I need to pick it up soon!

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.