"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, October 5, 2015

TTT: Bookish things I am ready to abandon

Top Ten Tuesday: Bookish things I am trying to quit (or at least slow down on)

1. Pulling book sets for students (it's a library thing)---In the past I would spend hours finding books for different class sets and then pulling them onto carts for students to peruse. When they were done I would have to put them all away.  Now that all students have an iPad at my school, I want to share with them how to find the books they need for the projects themselves and assist them in locating them in the library.

2. Cut down on the reading challenges I join---This year I have reduced my participation in year-long or open-ended reading challenges and attempted to join only short term challenges that fit with my reading goals of reading the Classics or reading YA Award winning or potential award winning novels. If some challenge like the R.I.P Challenge comes along and it fits into those goals then I am fine with joining up.

3. Accepting loaner books from friends---I've decided these loaner books are the biggest stress-makers in the reading world. I will no longer accept a loaner book. If I decide I want to read it, I will borrow the book from the library. For some reason books borrowed from a library do not stress me out. This is probably because no one at the library actually cares if I read the book or not.

4. Participate in blogging memes that don't give me joy---for a few years I joined several memes which just seemed to stress me out. I've decided the only memes I will participate in are ones, like this one, which I enjoy creating even if no one makes a comment. If I am participating because I want to increase traffic to my blog it is not a good enough reason for me anymore.

5. Avoid weeding out books because "someday someone might read it"---Did you notice the double negative? Weeding is necessary for keeping a library healthy and vital yet it is so easy to avoid removing books from the collection because of "someday someone might".  I have so many outdated books in  my library because of that mantra. It is time to get serious about weeding.

6. Feel pressure to write full reviews for all books I've read---I actually have never done this but I often feel a lot of self-imposed pressure to write something on every book I read.

7. Finish every book I start---I often find myself slogging through a book even though I am not enjoying it, just because I don't want to give up.

8. Buy books just because they are on the discount rack---I'm over it. Why buy a discount book I probably won't read. I'm heading to the library instead.

9. Avoid getting an e-reader---too late! I got an iPad and found out I actually enjoy reading books on it.

10. Kick myself for all the books I haven't read---instead I shall celebrate the great books I have read.

16 comments:

  1. It must be a library thing...I'm in the middle of a weeding project too.

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many library things! I really need to get an e-reader. I'm running out of space on my phone. I know what you mean about DNFing. I always want to finish the book even if I'm not enjoying it. I need to work on that.

    Nice list! I like how everyone has had a slightly different approach to this.

    Christina @ Books 7 Prejudice

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially relate with #7, 8 and 10. I feel obligated to finish a book that I start, I just hope it gets better and don't want to miss out on anything. I also buy everything that I spot if it is a book and a good deal. I just started reading several years ago and I never feel like I am going to catch up! Mine is at: http://takemeawaytoagreatread.com/2015/10/06/top-ten-tuesday-top-10-bookish-things-i-want-to-quit/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a terrible one for #8, if a book is on sale I often buy it because it's "such good value" and then it sits on my shelf for ages. I have recently gone over my shelves and got rid of all those good value books I now admit I will never read and I had a huge pile of books to go to charity at the end of it!
    http://dualreads.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/top-ten-bookish-things-i-want-to.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I joined too many challenges too this year! I'm definitely not going to be taking part in as many next year!
    I also used to force myself to finish reading a book that I wasn't enjoying, but I can proudly say that since January 1st I have DNF 11 books in total, so I am getting better at that one!
    I'm still struggling with the discount/sale books. Hopefully we will both beat that one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post! I can relate to so many. I completely understand about the loaner books because not only do you feel obligated to read it, you then feel obligated to like it. Which can sometimes be a problem. DNFing books is something I had to learn because at first I felt the need to prove I could finish a book to say I read it, but now because there are just so many books in the world, I don't have time to dwell on the ones that don't really appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great list, Anne. I know what you mean about loaner books being stressful. I rarely accept loaners anymore either. And challenges . . . I have a hard time finding a happy medium. I either join none or too many.

    I really like your #10. That's a great way to spin it--and so true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I limited the amount of challenges this year! Much easier.... :-) Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always feel the need to write full reviews for every book I read. And, that's why I'm so far behind on my book reviews. Interesting list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have trouble with DNFing too, and I'm really bad about buying discounted books on Kindle and then finding myself unhappy with them. I'd be better off spending the money on books I know Im likely to enjoy. Great list! Thanks for visiting Bookworm Book Reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I should have added #7 to my list this week! I often force myself to finish a book even if I'm not really enjoying it because I don't want to leave a book half-read. But now that my book collection has grown exponentially thanks to my Kindle, I've started to cut down on that. My trouble with keeping myself from purchasing discount books has evolved - now I have to resist the temptation to purchase discount books in physical stores AND on the Kindle store!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't buy books I probably wont read but since getting a Tablet I have "bought" or rather downloaded almost every free book that sounds remotely interesting. There are so many unread books I doubt I'll ever get to them.

    My TTT: Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to beat myself up over #10 all the time but since then I accepted that I'll never be able to read every book that is recommended to me. #4 used to be a problem for me as well, even though I've only ever did TTT and Waiting on Wednesday. I quickly got bored of the latter and it felt like a chore, rather than the fun it used to be.
    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are a lot of great ideas! I cut down on memes too and now TTT is the only one I do. I also started doing a lot more DNFs this past year, because I realized that I don't owe it to anyone to finish a book I'm not enjoying.

    - Kritika @ Snowflakes & Spider silk

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE this post. Such a tone of acceptance.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great list and a lot of it revolves around our expectations for ourselves, which are often too high and stressful. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.