"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, July 24, 2009

Summer Reading List

Here I am with my very first blog intending to write about one of my favorite subjects: books. Friends know that I keep an annotated log of all the books that I read in a little blank book. I frequently look back on my list to remind myself what I thought of a book at the time I finished reading it or to check the date I read it. This blog is my attempt to join the 21st Century and to faithfully share my musings with you.

As a high school librarian I spend a good deal of time during the summer reading books that have piled up on my list of "must-reads" during the school year. This first list, which I will update as I complete other books, is merely a list of books that I have read this summer. They are not necessarily my favorites, though I do like several of the books very much. By the end of the summer I will create a Top Ten list of books I have read to share with my students. Look for that on a later post. I am always on the hunt for good books for teens but that doesn't mean that all the books I read are YA lit. I am a very eclectic reader, as you will see from my list below. I also love to listen to books-on-CD, in fact that is my favorite way to "read" a book.

A little star* next to the listed book means I will be writing a review of the book. My reviews will always be short and I will never give away much of the plot of the ending of the book.I hate reading lengthy reviews, since I have to read so many of them myself. Let me know if you want me to write reviews for any of the other books. I have opinions on all of them.

I hope you enjoy reading my blog and I invite you to join in the conversation with me about books, reading, life.

Here goes...my first list:
Mrs. Bennett's summer reading list:

1.
Little Brother
by Cory Doctorow 

*2. Careful Use of Compliments by Alexander McCall Smith
3.
No Country for Old Men
by Cormac McCarthy *
4.
Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife
by Mary Roach
5.
Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise
by Ruth Reichel
6.
No Choirboy: Murder, Violence, and Teenagers on Death Row
by Susan Kuklin *
7.
Songs of the Gorilla Nation: My Journey Through Autism
by Dawn Prince-Hughes
8.
Blue Bloods
by Melissa De La Cruz *
9.
The Red Pony
by John Steinbeck
10.
One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd
by Jim Fergus *
11.
Ship of Ghosts: The Story of the USS Houston, FDR's Legendary Lost Cruiser, and the Epic Saga of Her Survivors
by James Hornfischer
12.
The Things They Carried
by Tim O'Brien *
13.
Tamar: A Novel of Espionage, Passion, and Betrayal
by Mal Peet *
14.
Dope Sick
by Walter Dean Myers
15.
Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan *
16.
The Art of Racing in the Rain
by Garth Stein *
17.
Rebel Angels
by Libba Bray *
18. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury *
19. Serena by Ron Rash
20. Shakespeare: The World as Stage (Eminent Lives) by Bill Bryson*
21. Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver*
22. A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson*
23. Face by Sherman Alexie*
24. Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork*
25. Impossible by Nancy Werlin
26. The God of Animals by Aryn Kyle
27. Guernica by Dave Boling
28. The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery*
29. Before I Die by Jenny Downham*
30. Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller
31. The Killer's Cousin by Nancy Werlin


*=Reviews to follow

3 comments:

  1. A blog about books--I love it!! I'll have to add you to my blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom-your picture looks really creapy with only half a face! But I love that you're on blogger now doing what you do best. What a great resource to your friends, students, and staff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was trying to make my head look like it was full of books. Guess you and I trading jabs about pictures we post on blogs! Ha. Thanks for taking a look.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.