"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien


This book is about the Vietnam war from one man's perspective. I highly recommend this book-not only to boys or people interested in the psychological effects of war, but to anyone who wants to read an excellently written book. WOW. I can feel the horror and futility of war and I now understand why war experiences stay with a person long after (forever?) the war ends. In addition, the author stresses the cathartic aspect that writing and telling one's story has on healing. I am completely high on this book and will recommend to students and adults alike.

Here's a quote from the book: "Telling stories seemed a natural, inevitable process, like clearing one's throat. Partly catharsis, partly communication, it was a way of grabbing people by the shirt and explaining exactly what happened to me, how I allowed myself to be dragged into a wrong war...it occurred to me that the act of writing had led me through a swirl of memories that might otherwise have ended in paralysis or worse. By telling stories you objectify your own experience. You separate it from yourself...you pin down some truths..." (157-158)

Adult to Older teen (there is quite a bit of profanity); My rating is 5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.