"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein


Perhaps I loved this story because of the geographical references the Puget Sound region. Perhaps I enjoyed it because I shared the experience with my daughter listening to the book-on-CD together as we made a college-visitation trip. Whichever reason, I found it very delightful. Narrated by the dog, Enzo, who thinks that he is human, this book has a decidedly unique feel to it; refreshing. "...a dog who speaks, the thrill of competitive racing, a heart-tugging storyline, and best of all, the fact that it is a meditation on humility and hope in the face of despair." (From the back cover) Be sure to have a box of tissues on hand as you read it and your heart will sing over the ending.

A favorite quote: "I know this much about racing in the rain. I know it is about balance. It is about anticipation and patience...racing in the rain is about the mind. It is owning one's own body..." p. 314

Adult to Older teen; Rating 5 out of 5 stars.

2 comments:

  1. So, you're ahead by a month!!(on BC reads) I'm glad that Racing in the Rain is good because I'm finding Hedgehog to be a struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ordered the book-on-CD from the library so I listened to it when it came in. I liked it a lot. And I am bummed to hear that Hedgehog is a chore because I am currently reading another book that is a chose for my other book club. Bummer...two in one month.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.