"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Saturday, July 25, 2009

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy


My husband and I listened to this book-on-CD as we traveled via car one week-end. When we got home we still had several CDs left to finish the book. We fought over who got to finish it up first. My husband won, which was a first for us. He usually is much less passionate about books than I am.


This book, which is described on the cover as having "masculine prose", is a very dark, psychological drama, full of murder and gore. Yet it is masterfully written. I kept joking that it was written with "muscular prose" because only men could enjoy so much violence. We watched the movie after finishing the book. The movie captured the psychological, maniacal aspects and wove the title, "No Country for Old Men", nicely into the drama. We were glad that we had read the book first or we wouldn't have "got" all the drama behind the violence.


I am constantly on the lookout for good books for boys and this is definitely one, though I'd say that if a teen picked up this book he would need to be a fairly strong reader.


Adult to strong teen, male readers; Audio CD; My rating: 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.