"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachal Cohn and David Levithan


This book has been on my list to read for a while now. I really wanted to like it more than I did. Rachal Cohn and David Levithan alternate writing chapters in Nick and Norah's voices. I liked that and felt that it was successful to authenticate the difference in the voices and point-of-view. I also thought that premise of the story was fresh and interesting. "Will you be my girlfriend for 5 minutes?" What a fun idea. Unfortunately the book was so full of profanity that it made me cringe. The characters were into the punk rock scene so the language may have fit the characters but I didn't think so much was necessary.

I will continue to recommend this book to my teen readers but now I will make sure that these readers are mature.

I did find some fun quotes that I liked. Here is my favorite: "I shouldn't want the song to end. I always think of each night as a song. Or each moment as a song. But now I'm seeing we don't live in a single song. We move from song to song, from lyric to lyric, from chord to chord. There is no ending here. It is an infinite playlist." p. 174

YA Literature; Mature teens; My rating: 4 of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.