"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Saturday, May 11, 2024

Sunday Salon --- Happy Mother's Day!

Aurora Borealis. Photo taken in the middle of the street outside our house in Washington State on 5/10/24.

Weather: Gorgeous, and the aurora borealis!!! Woza. My first time seeing Northern Lights!

Happy Mother's Day! My mother is 95 years old. I win! Mom, I love you so much!

My Mother's Day gift: Don prepares all the planters and helps me put all the plants we purchased during the week into them. No grumbling from him, either. A true act of love. Our Sunday festivities will involve the whole family coming over after church for brunch and games. Then mid-afternoon we'll switch to making the day about celebrating Don's birthday. Such love!

The prettiest season in our yard.

New word -- GRAUPEL: Just two weeks ago we had this weather event, another first. "Although it sounds more like a German dish than a weather event, graupel is a type of winter precipitation that's a mix of snow and hail. Graupel is also known as snow pellets, soft hail, small hail, tapioca snow, rimed snow, and ice balls." Now you have a new word, too!

The camera on my phone helped us see all the swirly lights that our eyes couldn't catch.

Books and Blogging:
  • Completed This Week:
    • Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro. A dystopian tale told set in the near future. A book club selection. Audiobook and print. 4 stars.
    • I Cheerfully Refuse by Leif Enger. A favorite author. This is also set in a dystopian future. Audiobook with Don. 5 stars.
    • How to Be Perfect: Poems by Ron Padgett. I really enjoyed this collection, many of hte poems are humorous. Print. 4 stars.
  • Currently reading:
    • Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. I really thought I'd love this classic but I'm really having the opposite experience. 50% complete. Audiobook where the narrator is very irritating.
    • The Great Divide by Cristina Henriquez. A novel set in Panama during the time period when the canal was being built. 10% complete. Print.
  • Blogging:
I just learned that the solar event that is causing the northern lights was at G5 last night and will be a G4 tonight (Saturday.) For more info checkout Earth.com


Funny or...?
This would be dining at our suet feeder. In fact, the squirrel is dining quite piggily right now.

Good one! "A caterpillar worm ate my brain."



Here's one for the moms, or strong women, out there!




Have a great week!

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.