"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Tuesday, January 23, 2024

TTT: Books I Meant to Read in 2023


Top Ten Tuesday: Books I meant to read in 2023.



1. Known World by Edward P. Jones -- It is the last winner of the Pulitzer Prize published in the 21st century which I haven't read. I really, really wanted to finish this personal challenge and didn't get it done.

2. The Book of Joy by the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu -- I asked for this book for Christmas in 2022 and then didn't even attempt to read it in 2023.

3. Birnam Wood by Eleanor Catton -- Early in 2023 I heard this book was so good. I suggested it for a book club option but no one else wanted to select it. I still want to read it.

4. The Fraud by Zadie Smith -- This book was on the top ten list of best books of the year. I had my eye on it for months, even getting a copy from the library which I had to return unread at its due date.

5. The Path Between the Seas by David McCullough --- This book is about the construction of the Panama Canal which relates to me as my grandfather help build the canal! I learned about this book on our trip to walk in the steps of Granddad in Panama and Ecuador this past year. Even though it is a long one, 650+ pages, I'm determined to read it.

6. The House of Broken Angels by Luis Alberto Urrea -- My sister gave me this book several years ago and I just can't make myself start it. 2024 for the win!

7. Nature's Best Hope: A New Approach to Conservation That Starts in Your Yard by Douglas Tallamy -- I added this to my TBR in 2021. I have a nice big yard. I'd sure like to make it as friendly to nature as possible.

8. What Kind of Woman: Poems by Kate Baer -- I fell in love with this poet last year and decided to read everything she has written.

9. I'm Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy -- My daughter recommended this memoir to me and I do want to read it, but when?

10. The Covenant of Water by Abraham Verghese -- I shouldn't really add this book to the list because I am almost 90% done reading it. But I had three to four months notice to get it read by book club the end of January. Tomorrow is that meeting and I'm still not finished. I wouldn't be so panicked if I had bothered to start it in 2023!


-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.