"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, January 15, 2024

TTT: Bookish Goals for 2024 (and how I did on my 2023 goals)


Top Ten Tuesday: My Bookish Goals for 2024 (and how I did on my 2023 goals)

Bookish goals for 2024

  • Write reviews for all book club selections.
  • Complete my "One Big Book" challenge. This year's book is Wolf Hall by Hilary Mandel
  • Read two of the five National Book Award winners/finalists. (Announced in November)
  • Read the Pulitzer Prize 2024 winner for literature (announced in March or April) plus read three past winners. 
  • Read at least five classic books on my list. (See list here.)
  • Participate in the Discussion Challenge. Write 5 discussion posts.
  • Participate in the Big Book Summer Challenge. Read 4 big books during the summer months.
  • Read the Printz Award winner, and all finalists. (Announced in late January.)
  • Write three Past Due Reviews after creating a new list of books I never reviewed but still want to write their reviews.
  • Read 100 books for the Goodreads Challenge.

My 2023 goals. How did I do?

1. One Big Book  1/1
Personal Challenge
Read one book during the year that I consider a challenging book; a book I've avoided reading for years due to its daunting nature. Must be completed by 12/31/23.
                My 2023 One Big Book was: The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas March 28th✔.
2. Pulitzer Challenge  6/7
Personal. Read the current Pulitzer Prize winner announced in May of each year. And read past winners from a list I created.:
                1. 2023 co-winner:  Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver 
                1. 2023 co-winner: Trust by Hernan Diaz ✔
                2. 2013 winner: Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson 
                3. 2007 winner: The Road by Cormac McCarthy 
                4. 2004 winner: The Known World by Edward Jones No. It is now on my 2024 list.
                5. 2001 winner: The Amazing Kavalier and Clay by Michael Charbon 
                6. 1928 winner: The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder
3. National Book Award Challenge  5/2
Personal. Every year the National Book Award is given out in five categories: Fiction, Nonfiction. Poetry, Translated Literature; Young People's Literature. My yearly goal is to read two of the five winners (or finalists). This award was announced November 15th. In 2023 I read:
                Poetry winner: From Unincorporated Territory [amot] by Perez
                Poetry finalist: From From: Poetry by Youn
                Young People's Literature winner: A First Time for Everything by Santat
                Young People's Literature finalist: Huda F. Cares by Fahmy
                Fiction finalist: This Other Eden by Harding
4. Discussion Challenge 4/1-10
Hosts: Feed Your Fiction Addiction and It Begins at Midnight. Post a discussion topic related to books, reading, or related topics. I aimed to complete the beginning level,1-10 posts in 2023. 
                Tracking topics/dates:
                Rereadings (Nov. 14, 2023)
5. Goodreads Challenge 183/110
Read 110+ in 2023. ✔ I read 183 books.
6. Classics Club List   12/5
Host: The Classics Club  In 2023 I want to read at least five books from my list.
                Tracker:
                1. If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino
                2. Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare
                3. The ABC Murders by Agatha Christie
                4. The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas
                5. Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
                6. The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
                7. The Return of Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
                8. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
                9. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
                10. Middlemarch by George Eliot
                11.The  Aleph and Other Stories by Jorge Luis Borges
                12. The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder
7. Super Past Due Reviews 1/5
A personal challenge. Write five super past due reviews (over a year old)
8. Big Book Summer Challenge 6/4
Read four 400+ page length books during summer.
                1. Horse by Geraldine Brooks, 401 pages
                2. Humans by Brandon Stanton, 437 pages
                3. Tell Me Why by Tim Riley, 423 pages
                4. Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin, 401 pages
                5. Trust by Hernan Diaz, 416 pages
                6. I Have Some Questions for You by Rebecca Makkai, 438 pages
9. Write reviews for all books read for book clubs. 22/23 reviews written. (The one I didn't write was for a reread which I reviewed in 2018.)
10. Read all the 2023 Printz award and honor books. 3 1/2 / 5. 

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.