"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, October 23, 2023

TTT: Atmospheric Books

Top Ten Tuesday: Atmospheric Books



1. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
This is the first book which came to mind. When I think of it, I can feel the cold wind and the darkness of the theme.

2. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier 
Another book where the setting is very sinister.

3. The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Set in the moors at Baskerville Hall, most of the action occurs at night when the hound's terrifying howl makes one's blood run cold.

4. Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
This is a sinister novel, thrumming with an unknown menace.

5. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
I remember very little about this mystery, having read it years ago. What remains is a sense of a very creepy, foreboding setting.


6. Sabriel by Garth Nix
The whole series is packed full of dark, foreboding vibes. I loved it.

7. Sea of Tranquility by Emily St. John Mandel
The setting is the second colony on the moon but the light is always set at twilight. It is very muted for this reason.

8. Burial Rites by Hannah Kent
Set in Iceland with its ice and wind. The main character is accused of murder and she is being "kept" until she can go on trial. I can't get the setting out of my mind.

9. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
The quintessential gothic novel, with a crazy wife in the attic.

10. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
This is Austen's most atmospheric novel, partially set in a dark, creepy mansion.




-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.