"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, September 11, 2023

TTT: Favorite literary siblings


Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Literary Siblings


I have close relationships with my own siblings, especially my sisters, so I am always interested in siblings and their relationships in literature.

The March Sisters -- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

I was the second of four kids. When I first read the book as a pre-teen, I had it all figured out. My older sister was Meg, the oldest. I was Jo, of course. And my younger sister was either Amy or Beth, depending on the day. My brother could be Laurie if he wanted. He didn't.
***

The Bennett Sisters -- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

I've always admired the close relationship between Jane and Elizabeth, the eldest sisters in the Bennet family. But I think we also have some windows into how siblings work together and form alliances when we view all five sisters together: Mary in the middle traying to find her voice; Kitty and Lydia the youngest and silliest but also the most pampered.
***

Danny and Maeve Conroy -- The Dutch House by Ann Patchett

I think the reason I love this book so much is because of Danny and Maeve's close relationship. They always have each other's backs even over the years, decades.
***

The Price Sisters // Rachel, Leah, Adah, and Ruth May -- The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

The girls and their mother are forced to move to the Congo in the late 1950s with their father,  a wanna-be missionary. When they make the move they realize they know nothing about the culture and language of the people they are trying to "save." The girls find comfort only among themselves. 
***

Jem and Scout Finch -- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

The devotion that Jem has for his younger sister is so inspiring. Of course, so is the whole book.
***

The Gold Children -- The Immortalist by Chloe Benjamin

Four young siblings sneak out of their house to get a reading from the Immortalist, who tells them when they will each die. All of their lives are profoundly changed and ruined by this knowledge, even when they try to look out for each other. 
***

The Kopp Sisters -- Girl Waits with Gun by Amy Stewart

Constance Kopp and her sisters, Norma and Fleurette, try to keep their home by finding their own way in the days, early 1900s, when men thought women were helpless. Based on actual women. Constance became the first female sheriff's deputy in New Jersey. (There are several sequels to this book.)
***

Isabelle and Viann -- The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

Two sisters in the Loire region of Occupied France during WWII. Both act bravely in their own way.
***

Marianne and Elinor Dashwood -- Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

These sisters have each other when it seems like they have both lost everything they hold dear.
***

Nina, Hud, Jay and Kit Riva -- Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid

The Rivas are the offspring of the famous singer, Mick Riva, but that is all they got from him, his name. They support and love each other as they make their own ways, with their own talents.
***

Emmett and Billy Watson -- The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles

Sibling love is so apparent in these brothers in this fantastic book.
***

Can you think of any other literary siblings?
-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.