"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, October 18, 2018

Friday Quotes---The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels by Jon Meacham

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
Th
e Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

This is the book I'm reading right now---



Title: The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels by Jon Meacham

Book Beginnings: (Introduction, pg 1)
Friday 56:

Comment: My husband and I started this audiobook on a recent trip to Oregon. It is about the Presidency and the good and bad Presidents in the USA throughout history. Jon Meacham is a historian who is writes clearly and with so much authority. I am finding it to be fascinating and learning much that I didn't previously know. It clearly shows low points in our history like the quote from the Introduction about Strom Thurmond being upset about anti-lynching legislation. He also showed the steps that Lincoln had to go through to put forward the Emancipation Proclamation which would free all slaves at the end of the Civil War. The subtitle comes from a quote made my Lincoln near the end of his first inaugural speech. I really like it and agree that we need to battle for our better angels in politics and society today.
We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.” -Abraham Lincoln, 1861

18 comments:

  1. I'm sure this is a great title to listen to. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for continually reminding all of us here in America to be our higher selves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am trying to gain a foothold on the slippery slopes of our political lives right now. Hoping for a positive outcome to the election in a few weeks, too.

      Delete
  3. Probably not for me, but I hope you enjoy it. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't read nonfiction, but it sounds like an interesting book. This week I'm featuring Leverage in Death by J. D. Robb - the latest in the series. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to mix it up. Some nonfiction, some adult fiction, some YA fiction, graphic novels, and poetry.

      Delete
  5. Our country has definitely had its bumps in the road. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “BITTER ORANGE”

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does sound like a fascinating read! Enjoy! Hope you have an awesome weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't usually read non-fiction, but this sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this one is a little heavier than I am used to. But very interesting and well-written.

      Delete
  8. What a first line! That's really intriguing. I don't usually read non-fiction, but I might add this to the small list I keep just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like historical writing, this one is a good one.

      Delete
  9. I love a great audiobook like this. It sounds like it has lots of great information. I am definitely intrigued. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would like to read more non-fiction than I do. Lincoln's words are excellent. It's hard to find the friendship and caring amongst the political rancor these days. It makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting sounding read. I think I need to listen to more nonfiction audio books. I have a feeling I'd get through them better. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoy nonfiction, too, although this sounds like it might be pretty intense.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I'll have to look into this one. Thanks for sharing!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.