"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Friday Quotes---Life After Life

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
Th
e Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now---


Title: Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

Book Beginning:
Nov. 1930- A fug of tobacco smoke and damp clammy air hit her as she entered the cafe. She had come in from the rain and drops of water still trembled like delicate dew on the fur coats of some of the women inside.
Friday 56:
January 1915- Pamela sighed the sigh of of someone with a lifetime behind them already and sat at the table. She stared blankly at the cloth and said, "I miss Daddy."
Comment: First off, I had to look up the word "fug" since I've never seen it before. It means "a warm, stuffy, or smoky atmosphere in a room."  The main character, Ursula, keeps dying and starting over, with only a partial knowledge of her last life, just enough to correct a problem. I am really enjoying the writing. The plot, not linear, is confusing but it is a little like figuring out a puzzle. Have any of you read this book? What did you think?



25 comments:

  1. Fug is an interesting word. Anyway, this book looks interesting. I haven't read anything by this author before, so thanks for mentioning the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I shall attempt to use fug in conversation and see if anyone knows what I am talking about.

      Delete
  2. I like "Fug", it kind of fits what it is ;) Great book choice!

    Please, check out my #Friday56 and #BookBeginnings here: http://bit.ly/2vjOfbT
    #TGIF!

    Luv, Sassy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes "fug" did seem to fit the room. We have tight anti-smoking laws in our state so one rarely enters a fug any longer.

      Delete
  3. I loved this book and I hope you do too, Anne! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished it and I am needing time to savor it.

      Delete
  4. This book has been on my to-read list for a long time. Hope you find it to be an enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes me think of a TV show I watched or the movie Groundhog Day. Could be a fun read.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't exactly like Ground Hop Day. She only sort of remembers what is coming next, in a sort of premonition or deja vu.

      Delete
  6. I read it and loved it. It's a bit of a slow burn, but gosh - I loved the direction the author went in.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to have a chance at redoing something to save a life to correct a wrong.

      Delete
  7. This one sounds like it would be too much work to read. I like linear plots best myself. This week I have an urban fantasy - Midnight Curse by Melissa F. Olson. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, fug is not your everyday word, is it? I read this book a while ago, and it was good, but not my favorite from the author. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look for more by Kate Atkinson then, because I liked this book a lot.

      Delete
  9. This seems like a really interesting read. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sad 56 to relate to. I miss my dad too, who has been gone 9 years tomorrow. :-( Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry about your father. I am sure that tomorrow will be a poignant day for you. The father in this story, at least at this time, is away at war (WWI).

      Delete
  11. I haven't heard of this one and "fug" is a new word for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely loved the book, and thought about it long after I finished it. I think I brought it up at Book Club once, but wasn't sure some of our members would enjoy the style. Would love to discuss it with you over coffee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remembered that it had come up as an option. I don't remember, though, what was said about it. I think it would be a good discussion book.

      Delete
  13. I don't think I've ever heard fug before either, but you can bet I'm going to work it into some kind of conversation this weekend. Hope no one mistakes it for cursing...Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, how will I work "fug" into the conversation?

      Delete
  14. Great lines. I always thought of reading it, but I have difficulties with the dying and coming back all the time. But, I guess, if anyone can get away with it, it would be Kate Atkinson.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the idea of this one. Fug is a good word to describe that atmosphere. I worked in a pub for a long time and that description fits perfectly.

    My Friday 56 from A School For Unusual Girls

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.