"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, July 7, 2017

Friday Quotes: Eliza and Her Monsters

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
Th
e Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now---


Title: Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia

Book Beginning:
Prologue: Eliza Mirk is the kind of name you give to the creepy girl who clings to her ex-boyfriend for weeks after he's dumped her because she refuses to accept that he hates her guts.
Friday 56:
I sit with the paper on my desk for several minutes, staring at the back of Shelby Lewis's head and her retro butterfly clips.
Comments:
-The storyline: a teen creator of a popular webcomic meets one of her biggest fans. He even writes fan fiction for her comic. He doesn't know who she is and she wants to keep it that way.
-The book is partially graphic (drawings) of the webcomic and texting/messages, the other part is regular prose. I like the drawings, they add to the story. I am irritated by the text messages. I hate reading the title of each speaker over and over. I like the writing but now that I am at the half-way point in the story I am wondering if the book is tad too long. What new drama will arise that will take 200 pages to resolve? Ever read a book like that?
-I do like the cover. Isn't it creative?
-I cracked up about the quotes I've included. The creepy girl quote is Eliza talking about herself. // The butterfly hair clips reminded me of when my daughter was in elementary school. I used to use them on her hair. But she has thick hair so I had to use a lot of them because they are so tiny.




14 comments:

  1. The post I read just before yours was also for this book; what a coincidence. It sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting. Yes, the cover is very creative. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a book I might like. :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an intriguing story! I also love the cover. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good.

    I haven't visited for ages....hope all is good.

    Your blog looks great.

    Thanks for coming by my blog.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen this book a lot of places. Thanks for sharing! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the book by placing a hold on it from the library and I hadn't seen it before it arrived. I was shocked because I thought it was a completely graphic novel instead just a random drawing here and there.

      Delete
  7. This sounds like it is a fun one. I especially like the first quote you shared, and I agree about the cover. It's very creative. Thank you for sharing, Anne! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I fell in love with the cover. Then I read how the story is presented and had to grab it. Now to find time to read:) I hope you enjoy this one.

    My Friday 56 from Fifteen Inches Tall And Bullet Proof

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still have a copy of her first novel Made You Up on my shelf that I need to get too. Hopefully soon because I've heard good things about it and this one. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anne,

    Whilst definitely not something I personally would read, this book has attracted some pretty high ratings and reviews.

    I volunteer in my local hospice charity shop, where I am in charge of the book section amongst other things. Comic and graphic drawing books very seldom cross my desk, but when they do, they are hugely popular. I always marvel at the quality of the art and the ingenuity of the various artists, so I can still appreciate this books for those qualities, if the great cover art is anything to go by.

    Thanks for sharing and following on from what Alicia just commented, 'Made You Up' also looks and sounds amazing :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been really intrigued by the cover and synopsis for this book. Thanks so much for sharing it. I think that it is one that I will have to check out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This seems like an interesting book. I think I'll add it to my TBR. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds fun. I like the cover, too!

    Thanks for popping by to my blog, appreciate it.

    Hope you're having a great weekend!

    luv Sassy
    x

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.