"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Sunday Salon, Feb 12, 2017

An early morning view of our front yard after a night of snowfall last Sunday.
Weather: Sunny, blue skies, cold.

This past week: Two events dominated my life---the snow storm and the death of a friend, Debbie. Last Sunday while I was writing my Sunday Salon post it started snowing. By evening it was obvious that the snow was for real and planned to stick around. By morning we had over eight inches of snow on our deck, school was cancelled, and I was stuck in the house. The night before I had posted a celebration invitation for 60 friends to help me usher in my 60th birthday by committing to do something with me during the year. My friend from high school, Debbie, replied that she would love to get together with me. We made plans to get together on Saturday (yesterday) with another friend, Carol. The snow had dumped so much snow, school was cancelled for three days. On the morning of my third day off from school Carol called me to tell me that Debbie had died earlier in the morning. She had a rare and serious disease but I had no idea that she was so ill, so close to death. So instead of getting together with Debbie on Saturday, Carol and I joined her family and around 300 other people for a memorial service to celebrate her life.

Death of a friend: Please read my post "Goodbye to a friend" for more insights about our friendship. I figured out last night that Debbie was one of my longest friends. I met her when I was twelve and she was thirteen. We attended the same junior high school and lived near each other. After our years together in public schools we went our separate ways but always stayed in touch over the years, even if we didn't see each other that often. When we did get together years melted away and we just just two girls who had been friends for a long time. As I hugged her husband yesterday he held me close and said, "You and Debbie were something else in those days when I first met her. You had something really special." We did indeed. It is hard to think about her being gone but she did have a tremendous faith, so I know she is in a better place now.

Admonition: Never put off doing something nice or thoughtful for another person. You may miss your chance!

Books read this week:
  • Praying the Bible by Donald Whitney---a little book I am using as a guide to assist me with the Sunday School class I am teaching on the same topic. (Print)
  • The Prayers of Jane Austen by Jane Austen---I received this mystery package in the mail this week, this book was among the goodies. Apparently Jane Austen was quite devote and she wrote out prayers that she and her family may have read during evening prayers. (Print) Thank you mystery gift-giver!
  • Scythe by Neal Shusterman---a utopian/dystopian novel by a favorite author about a time in the future when disease and aging has been conquered which requires that people be gleaned just to keep population in check. Two teens are tapped to be Scythe apprentices, a job neither wants. (Print)
Currently reading:
  • My Life in France by Julia Child--- a book club selection. A very-readable book by the beloved American food personality. (50%, pint)
  • The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan---another book club selection. Set in Australia (mostly) with recollections back to WWII when the main character was a POW held by the Japanese forced to work on the Railroad of Death in Burma which killed thousands of soldiers before war's end. (20%, audio and print)
  • The Singer by Calvin Miller---a book Debbie gave me at the end of high school in 1975. I am reading it in her memory. (50%, print.)
Prayers for my brother. The treatment for his melanoma has made him very sick. He is taking a break from those treatments and now getting treatments to eliminate his symptoms and to bring his organ functions back to where they should be.

Bob and Shirley Kingsbury at Sweethearts' Ball, 2/11/17, photo by Kathy Kingsbury

Still walking after 65 years together:
I love this photo of my mom and dad taken last night by my sister Kathy, at the annual Sweethearts' Ball in Eugene, Oregon. This past summer Mom and Dad celebrated  their 65th wedding anniversary with a party at their church. As I walked past two ladies, one said to the other, "Isn't that something? 65 years together and they are both still walking." That has become a new family funny thing to say about Mom and Dad, especially since Dad is pretty wobbly these days, but he still gets around.

"She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted." New battle cry! Take a look at this article/essay/poem by Laurence Lewis titled "Nevertheless she persisted." Think where we would be if these gals hadn't persisted. Think about all the hurdles women have had to cross to get to where we our now, often in the face of great opposition. Friends, we must all persist!
Photo credits: The Skeptical OB

Think about this quote from The Fault in Our Stars:

“That’s part of what I like about the book in some ways. It portrays death truthfully. You die in the middle of your life, in the middle of a sentence.” 
                                                                                                 ― John GreenThe Fault in Our Stars



8 comments:

  1. Again, I am so sorry about Debbie. My best friends are from junior high (and one from elementary) and I love that we don't have to see each other or talk all the time to remain close. I hope your brother begins to feel better as well. It's a lot sometimes, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am still in shock about Debbie. I have spent the last few days thinking about our friendship. As with most memories there are regrets and one is that I didn't make it a priority to get together more often. I will remember this moving forward.

      Delete
  2. My sister-in-law passed away last week. I'd known and loved her for forty-one years. It's a smaller world without her, and I think you probably feel the same way about your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry about the loss of your sister-in-law. We soldier on.

      Delete
  3. Oh, friendships like the one you had are what remind us all about the bonds that stay strong forever. So sorry about your loss!

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and give me those author recommendations.

    Your Currently Reading list reminded me that I still have "My Life in France" sitting unread on my bedside shelf. I picked up years ago at a library book sale. I guess I should add it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post. So sorry about Debbie. Sounded like a great person & friend. The photo of your parents is wonderful. My parents too are closing in on their 65th but not yet. Quite a milestone! I also liked the essay you linked that She Persisted. Thank goodness she did!!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.