"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Friday Quotes: SCYTHE

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
Th
e Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now---



Title: Scythe by Neal Shustermann

Book Beginnings:
The scythe arrived late on a cold November afternoon. Citra was at the dining room table, slaving over a particularly difficult algebra problem, shuffling variables, unable to solve for X or Y, when this new and far more pernicious variable entered her life's equation.
Friday 56:
3) The Scythe's Pets: These were the people who went out of their way to engage the scythe and offer him something, with the secret (not so secret) hope that he might grant them immunity, or at least glean the person to their right instead of them some day.
Comments: Scythe won a Printz Honor a few weeks ago and now I am reading it. A scythe is a person who kills people to cull down the population. there are no longer diseases that kill and the recuperative aspects in the body repair a person if they have suffered from an accident. So the only way to cull down the population is to kill a person purposely. That is the scythe's job. Obviously no one wants a visit in their home by a scythe. And most people avoid them in the store and the public places. When two teens are recruited as apprentice scythe, it is not an honor.
I am only a few chapters in the book. The topic is very distressing, even though it is fiction. But I guess that the relationship between the two apprentices should make for an interesting book.

12 comments:

  1. Great excerpts, and that cover is awesome in a creepy/scary way. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very scary and not sure I'd read it late at night! Thanks for sharing and for the visit today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate algebra... lol... the book sounds interesting though. :-) I fixed your link too. You put in a title, no url. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this book. It was my last read of 2016 and I thought it was creepy but it kept my interest all the way through. And it's a series, so I'm curious to see where this goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really got the creepy vibe yet. I know it is all about killing but it seems almost medical in its execution (pun intended.)

      Delete
  5. Wicked cover and it sounds like bad things are coming.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the foreboding in the opening ("pernicious variable.") Sounds like a good sci-fi story but maybe a little too creepy for me!
    My Friday post features The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to check this one out. I fell in love with the cover immediately. Looking forward to your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That synopsis sure drew me in, as did your excerpt choice. I'm wanting to read this one.

    My Friday 56 from Every Last Word

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know about this book. Great 56!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Somehow I've never read Shusterman... Going to have to remedy that very soon! :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog earlier, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scythe seems to fit in well with his Unwind series, which I thought was supurb. I'll add this one to my list!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.