- Secret Son by Laila Lalami---set in Casablanca; the story of an illegitimate son when he meets his father. Progress: page 140 of 291.
- Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth by Reza Aslan---an audiobook selection; Aslan is a scholar who is writing about the historical Jesus. His book has stirred up the Christian community. Progress: disc 2 of 7.
- Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor---the third book in the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series. I am listening to this book on my iPod (when I walk the dog.) Progress: less than 30 minutes in out of 19 hours of listening. Gulp. That's a lot of dog walks!
- The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson...Haley and her dad move around a lot trying to outrun the bad memories brought on by PTSD and abandonment issues. Not a very cheery topic. I give it 3.5/5
- Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter...set mainly in Italy in the 1960s with characters from the movie Cleopatra. I really enjoyed this book a lot. Read my review. I gave it 5/5.
- Rules of Summer by Shaun Tan.... classic Shaun Tan. It is a short picture book but the message carries a punch, one that make you think. 4.5/5
- 100 Poems to Lift Your Spirits edited by Leslie Pockell... I enjoyed this collection of poems at first then go bogged down trying to finish it even though I didn't feel like reading all the poems in it. It has a nice collection of silly poems which I think will attract students who are working on poetry projects. I gave it 3/5.
- Noggin by John Corey Whaley...Whaley won all kinds of awards for his first YA novel. This one is getting good reviews, too. I like the cover.
What are you reading and how is your progress?