"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, September 3, 2012

End of Summer...How'd I do on the reading list?

At the beginning of the summer I posted a list of books that I wanted to read this summer.  The list was laughably long.  Now that summer is over it is time to take stock. How did I do on this list?  
Aqua Highlights=I read the book; 
Strike through=I didn't; 
Yellow Highlights= in progress; 
Pink Highlights=books I read that weren't on the original list

Books for Book Club meetings:
  • Heart in the Right Place by Carolyn Jourdan
  • Still Alice by Lisa Genova (I started it but had to release it back to the library. I will finish it before our book club in November.)
  • Half-Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls 
  • The Madonnas of Leningrad by Debra Dean
  • Zeitoun by Dave Eggers
  • The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe
Books for Personal Challenges:
  • Stotan by Chris Crutcher---Chris Crutcher Challenge 
  • Chinese Handcuffs by Chris Crutcher---Chris Crutcher Challenge
  • Delirium by Lauren Oliver--- Read a Long Book, Summer Challenge
  • Putting Makeup on the Fat Boy by Bil Wright--- Read the ALA Winners Challenge
  • A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry---Read a Long Book, Summer Challenge; From My Own Shelves Challenge 
  • The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern--- Audiobook Challenge 
  • Ready Player One by Ernest Cline---Audiobook Challenge
  • Lirael by Garth Nix---Audiobook Challenge and Read a Long Book Summer Challenge
  • Dancing with Mr. Darcy, a collection of short stories---Austen in August Challenge
  • Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fford---Audiobook Challenge, Read a Long Book Summer Challenge
  • Playing the Enemy: Nelson Mandela and the Game that Saved a Nation by John Carlin---Audiobook Challenge
Books as possible Mock Printz selections:
  • A Grave Mercy by Robin La Fevers 
  • In Darkness by Nick Lake
  • Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi 
  • BZRK by Michael Grant
  • Dying to Know You by Aidan Chambers 
  • A Greyhound of a Girl by Roddy Doyle
  • The Difference Between You and Me by Madeline George
  • Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein 
  • The Butterfly Clues by Kate Ellison 
  • Friends With Boys by Faith Erin Hicks (Graphic novel)
  • The Year of the Beasts by Cecil Castellucci and Nate Powell (1/2 graphic novel)
  • Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone by Kat Rosenfield 
  • After the Snow by S.D. Crockett 
Books as possible Nifty-Fifty Cart selections:
  • Lockdown By Alexander Gordon Smith 
  • The Alchemyst by Michael Scott
  • Birthmarked by Caragh O'Brien
  • Sabriel by Garth Nix 
"Just because I want to read it" books:
  • A Dog's Purpose by Bruce Cameron 
  • Legend by Marie Lu 
  • Insurgent by Veronica Roth 
  • Jerk, California by Jonathan Friesen (I started this but didn't like it. I won't finish it.)
  • The Vow by Kim and Krickett Carpenter 
  • Bride's Story 1 by Kaoru Mori (Graphic novel) 
  • The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer Smith 
  • Cinder by Marissa Meyer 
  • Wither by Lauren DeStefano
Not bad.  I read 15 of the books on the original list, 13 that weren't on the list, and I'm working on four others. Considering my summer I deserve a B or B+ for my efforts.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Great job! I was really surprised by how many books I accomplished to read this summer.

    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd give you an A - that's a LOT of books to read in one summer!! As you know, I went for Big Books this summer so read far fewer in number but a lot in size!

    Looks like a great summer spent with great books!

    Thanks for reminding me that I need to wrap up my own summer reading challenge, too.

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.