"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, September 24, 2012

Top Ten Series I Never Finished

Hosted by The Broke and Bookish

Series I haven't finished (with rationale notes):

  • The Old Kingdom series (Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen) by Garth Nix...I probably shouldn't add this series to the list since I am currently half finished with the last book and will likely finish it sometime this week. I love this series and want to sing it's praises to all who will listen.
  • Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer...I read Twilight and recognized what all the buzz was about but didn't feel compelled to read on.
  • Gemma Doyle Trilogy by Libba Bray...I love The Great and Terrible Beauty and Rebel Angel , #1 & #2 in the series. I will eventually turn my attention to the third book, The Sweet Far Thing, but it keeps getting pushed to the bottom of the list even though I liked the first two books a lot.
  • Ender series by Orson Scott Card...I've read and enjoyed Ender's Game. In fact, I think it should be required reading. It is that good.  But I haven't even cracked open the other nine books in the series and likely never will.
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams...I love this zany book so much. I'm afraid that the other books in the series won't live up to my expectations. Hence, I am avoiding them for now.  Who knows if I will ever get to them?
  • The Books of Bayern series by Shannon Hale... Goose Girl is a favorite of mine as it is a fairy tale retelling. Enna Burning, #2, takes the story from another character's point of view. The other two books continue with the story but focusing on another character. Realistically I doubt I will ever get to the last two.  So many books, so little time...
  • The Blue Bloods series by Melissa de la Cruz...a vampire/paranormal romance, a Twilight spinoff. I liked the first book and think that de la Cruz is a good writer but it is unlikely that I will keep reading the other books in the series.
  • Escape from Furnace series by Alexander Gordon Smith... Lockdown and other books in the series are VERY popular in my library with boys. I read the first book and understand the appeal but it is not for me.
  • Graceling by Kristin Cashore...I hope to get to Bitterblue, the third book of this fabulous series, soon. The best laid plans...
  • The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare...I enjoyed the paranormal romance City of Bones very much but I haven't kept going. Maybe some day...
  • Anne of Green Gables series by L.M Montgomery... true confessions: I didn't even read the first book in this series until last year. I am a fan and know someday Anne of Avonlea will be on my reading list, maybe even more of the series.
  • The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa...I read the first book, The Iron King, and found it a bit tedious. One of my followers encouraged me to keep going as the series improves. There are so many good books begging for my attention...
  • The Hush, Hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick...I was pretty captivated by this paranormal romance. That said, I don't see Crescendo in my near future.  Alas....
  • The Tiffany Aching series by Terry Pratchett...I accidently read the 2nd book in the series first, A Hat Full of Sky. I found it charming and hope to go back and read the first book soon. Pratchett is a master and though I don't plan to read the whole discworld series I'd like to finish this shorter, YA series within a series. 
  • The Thursday Next series by Jasper Fford...very clever and tremendously unique. I will keep going.


15 comments:

  1. Hush Hush seems to have made it onto most of the lists I've read tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on The Iron Fey and The Blue Blood series. I couldn't get into their worlds at all. My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bitterbluie is so great! I hope you do get to it soon.

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listened to Graceling and to Fire on audiobooks. I really should check the public library to see if Bitterblue is available in that format, too.

      Delete
  4. The Enders series is yet another I haven't completed. Or even read past book one!

    Here's my Top Ten Series I Haven't Finished. I hope you will stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw someone else say the exact same thing about Ender's Game but I haven't read any of them yet. When I see a series has that many books, it's kind of a turn off, unless I am already in the middle of them and invested. I really like The Mortal Instruments and Hush, Hush. It's so hard with so many series around to keep up with them all.

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought this was an excellent meme because so many of us have a hard time finishing all those popular series that are out right now.

      Delete
  6. It's a shame that there are only 24 hours in a day. I could use at least the triple of that :p There are so many great books, but just not enough time and that's something stressing me out :')

    Twilight, I don't get it. They just don't grab me.
    Gemma Doyle, sound great. Funny, because I also saw it a couple of times on lists because people absolutely hate them :p
    Books of Bayern, as a fairytale lover, I HAVE to read it.
    Kristin Cashores series sound like something I would enjoy.
    THE IRON FEY. Really, give it a chance! It's such a wonderful series :) The other books are so good.

    My top 10 Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Jasper Fforde but have only read book 1, need to read more of these as it was sooo good!
    Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the furnace series. It's just so gritty and compelling..even if the writing style could use some work. Please put Hush Hush and the iron King down and back away slowly. I can't even understand the appeal of those two. There are other series with the fey world or angels that are so much better. Great list! A lot of these are on mine too.

    Here's Ours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny the advice that you gave me verses the advice someone else gave about the Iron Fey series and the Hush Hush series. Because I'm a librarian I want to be familiar with as many books and authors as I can so I rarely finish series just so I can spend my time on other authors or works. The unfortunate part of not reading on in the Iron Fey series is that I found the first book tedious, so I am less likely to encourage my readers to select it.

      Delete
  9. Cool list - mine would be pretty long! Who has time for all those series?? And it seems like EVERYthing these days is part of a series.

    The only series I read habitually is Stephanie Plum - my bit of fun, fluffy escapism each summer!

    I did actually read the entire Ender series...but that was many years ago - back before kids when I had plenty of free time! It's all good, but the first book is the best, and it gets much more classic sci-fi-y after that. Still incredibly well-written, though. I think I read the entire Hitchhikers Guide series, too, at about the same time - my husband and I had just started dating, and he was introducing me to all his favorite sci-fi novels!

    Like you, I read Hush, Hush but none of the rest of the series. I enjoyed it OK and thought it was well-written but just not my thing - not all that into the paranormal romance thing.

    Anyway, great discussion topic!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read quite a few of the Stephanie Plum books, too, but decided after the last one that I'd had enough. They were funny and now they just seemed dumb. Guess it was time to walk away. I also went through a phase where I read all the Sue Grafton books, A is for Alibi, etc. Those are a little meatier than the Evanovich books but for some reason I've lost track of where I left off and don't really care to figure it out. hmm....

      Good to here that Ender's Game is the best because it is unlikely I will move on to the sequels. Stop while I'm ahead.

      Delete
  10. I'm always hearing that I should read the Thursday Next books. I'm glad to hear that they were good enough to continue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a bit overwhelming to think of the series we haven't finished. The big one for me is the Scott Westerfeld "Uglies" series. I didn't read the last one

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.