"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, May 9, 2025

Six Degrees of Separation -- from RAPTURE to ...



It’s time for #6degrees. Start at the same place as all participants, add six books, and see where we all end up.

Six Degrees of Separation. We begin with
↓

Rapture by Emily Maguire.
I haven't read the book, but the word "rapture" is a term used by Christians to describe a future event when believers will be caught up and taken to heaven in one big time event. The word 'rapture' is not actually found in the Bible.
↓

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson.
Another book with a biblical title. Gilead is mentioned in the Old Testament and it refers to a place, the land of Gilead or Mount Gilead. In the book a father is writing letters for his young son to read when he is gone.
↓

Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates.
A Black father writes letters to his teenage son about the racist world he lives in.
↓

Peace Like a River by Leif Enger.
This book is decidedly spiritual also. The book is about a father and his relationship with his children who are all very different from each other. It is a great favorite of mine and I've read it several times.
↓

The House of Broken Angels by Luis Alberto Urrea.
A Mexican-American family whose father, Don Antonio, named his oldest and youngest children Angel. Big Angel is hosting a birthday party for himself before he dies from a cancer that will take him soon. His siblings are all there including Little Angel. The two brothers, both Angels, haven't seen each other for a long time.
↓

East of Eden by John Steinbeck.
The sibling rivalry is strong in this book, an allegory of the Cain and Abel story in the Bible.
↓

The Brothers Karamazov (correct title) by Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Another book about brothers. This particular cover is off. Even the title isn't right. It is sort of chilling and disorienting.
↓

Rapture by Emily Maguire.
This edition of the book, published by Sceptre, has a very chilling cover. The first cover, published by Allen and Unwin, is so lovely and this one is frightening and disorienting.

Well, I ended back where I started, but landed on a creepier cover.

If you want to give this task a try, check this website for information about the meme:
  -Anne

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!!!