"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, September 23, 2024

TTT: My Fall Reading List (and how I did on my summer list)



Top Ten Tuesday: Fall Reading List. 
Below the line is how I did on my summer reading list.
 
Fall reading list: 

Book Club Selections:
  1. House Lessons by Erica Bauermeister (October)
  2. Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck (November)
  3. The Japanese Lover by Isabel Allende (December)  
Challenge Books:
  1. Classics Club Spin Book TBA from this list -- possibly A Christmas Carol by C. Dickens
  2. A Past Pulitzer Prize winner from list -- possibly All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren
  3. Printz Award winner or honor book from this list -- The Girl I Am, Was, and Never Will Be by S. Gibney
  4. Past Women's Prize winner or finalist --  possibly Piranesi by S. Clarke
  5. Two National Book Award titles (finalists/winners) -- finalists announced October 1st
    1. -
    2. -
  6. Novella November -- I hope to read 2-4 novellas in November
    1. - Possibly- Dept. of Speculation by Offill
    2. - Possibly- The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
       
Books I've already started, recently acquired, and/or have on-hold at the library:
  1.  James by Percival Everett
  2.  How to Be Both by Ali Smith
  3.  The Lion Women of Tehran by Marjan Kamali
  4. The Not-Quite-States of America: Dispatches From the Territories and Other Far-Flung Outposts of the USA by Doug Mack
  5. Olga Dies Dreaming by Xochitl Gonzalez
  6. A Death in the Family by James Agee
  7. Tell Me Everything by Elizabeth Strout
  8. The Portable Veblen by Elizabeth McKenzie
 
 
 

Update: How I did on my summer reading list.
 Yellow: completed. 
Aqua: in progress
Green:  not completed, DNF, or currently reading
Light pink: Did not get to yet!

Summer reading list:

Book Club Selections:
  1. Sarah Canary by Karen Joy Fowler (July, Group #1)
  2. Killers of a Certain Age by Deanna Raybourn (August, Group #1)
  3. Night Watch by Jayne Anne Phillips (August, Group #2) 
  4. Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors by Sonali Dev (September, Group #1) 

Challenge Books:
  1. Classics Club Spin Book TBA from this list -- A Bell for Adano by Hersey
  2. A Past Pulitzer Prize winner from list -- The Known World by Edward P. Jones
  3. Printz Award winner or honor book from this list -- Gather by Kenneth Cadow
  4. My One Big Book Challenge book -- Wolf Hall by Mantel 
  5. Big Book Summer Challenge -- The Women by Kristin Hannah
  6. Women's Prize winner or finalist --  Brotherless Night by V.V. Ganeshananthan
     
Books I've already started, recently acquired, have on-hold at the library, or the remaining books on my 20 Books of Summer Challenge list:
  1. The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman
  2.  Wandering Star by Tommy Orange
  3.  North Woods by Daniel Mason
  4.  The Berry Pickers by Amanda Peters
  5.  The House of Broken Angels by Luis Alberto Urrea
  6.  Gather by Kenneth Cadow
  7.  The Bee Sting by Paul Murray -DNF
  8.  Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed
  9.  Symphony of Secrets Brendan Slocomb
  10. Suffering is Never for Nothing by Elisabeth Elliot
  11. Too Much Happiness by Alice Munro 
 
I inspected this list frequently during the summer to make sure I was reading all the books I'd placed on it. It became an obsession to finish the whole list and I almost made it. I read over 100 pages of The Bee Sting before I decided I would not finish it. It was too long and frustrating to read and I gave it the heave-ho.
 


-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.