"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, August 22, 2024

Review: KILLERS OF A CERTAIN AGE


Title:
Killers of a Certain Age by Deanna Raybourn

Book Beginnings quote:
"My mother always says it's common as pig tracks to go around with a run in your stocking," Helen says, eyeing Billie's ripped hosiery critically.
Friday56: 
Brad Fogerty, a junior field operator from the Museum. I opened my mouth to say hey, but before I could ease myself out of my hiding place, I froze. Brad was masquerading as a member of the crew. That meant he was working.

Summary: 

Billie, Mary Alice, Helen, and Natalie have worked for the Museum, an elite network of assassins, for forty years. Now they are being sent on a cruise as their retirement gift where they discover they are targeted by one of their own. Only the Board, the top-level members of the Museum, can order the termination of field agents, and the women realize they've been marked for death.

To get out alive they have to turn against their own organization, relying on experience and each other to get the job done, knowing that working together is the secret to their survival. They're about to teach the Board what it really means to be a woman--and a killer--of a certain age. (Publisher)

Review: Though not the type of book we usually choose for our book club, Killers of a Certain Age is this months offering. Four retired assassins, all female, all in their 60s, have to work together and kill or be killed. Based on the cover and the books description, I expected the book to be infused with humor. There were some funny moments or scenes, but mostly it was a serious, deadly serious, book. I am not sure what we will discuss in our meeting. This is a problem with mysteries and book club discussions. What is there to talk about after you know how everything works out? Here is a list of the discussion questions. Honestly of all of the questions, I think our club will have the most fun with the last one: What do you think is next for the four assassins?

So now I've told you two things you might not have known: (Spoiler) 1. They survive and 2. This seems to be the first book in a series, but as far as I can tell, it is a standalone.

Rating: 3 stars



Sign up for The Friday56 on the Inlinkz below. 


As many of you know Freda over at Freda's Voice hosted #Friday56 for many years. On September 7, 2023 she told us she was going through some personal stuff and could no longer host. I've attempted to reach her but have had no reply. So I will host The Friday56 until she comes back. Help me communicate with past participants so they can figure out where and how to find me, please post this post's URL on your blog. Don't forget to drop a comment on my post also! Thanks.

Also visit Book Beginnings on Friday hosted by Rose City Reader and First Line Friday hosted by Reading is My Super Power to share the beginning quote from your book.

RULES:

*Grab a book, any book
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your e-reader
(If you want to improvise, go ahead!)
*Find a snippet, but no spoilers!

*Post it to your blog and add your url to the Linky below. If you do not add the specific url for your post, we may miss it! 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.