"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, June 17, 2024

TTT: My Summer Reading List (+How I Did On The Spring List)


Top Ten Tuesday: Summer Reading List. 
Below the line is how I did on my spring reading list.
 
Summer reading list: (Note: I am participating in the 20 Books of Summer Challenge. I created the hyperlinked list for that challenge but will organize it into categories here to be consistent with past seasonal lists.)

Book Club Selections:
  1. Sarah Canary by Karen Joy Fowler (July, Group #1)
  2. Killers of a Certain Age by Deanna Raybourn (August, Group #1)
  3. Night Watch by Jayne Anne Phillips (August, Group #2) 
  4. Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors by Sonali Dev (September, Group #1) 

Challenge Books:
  1. Classics Club Spin Book TBA from this list 
  2. A Past Pulitzer Prize winner from list
  3. Printz Award winner or honor book from this list -- The Collectors: Stories edited by A.S. King
  4. My One Big Book Challenge book -- Wolf Hall by Mantel 
  5. Big Book Summer Challenge -- The Women by Kristen Hannah
  6. Women's Prize winner or finalist (announced later this week)--  possibly Brotherless Night by V.V. Ganeshananthan
     
Books I've already started, recently acquired, have on-hold at the library, or the remaining books on my 20 Books of Summer Challenge list:
  1. The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman
  2.  Wandering Star by Tommy Orange
  3.  North Woods by Daniel Mason
  4.  The Berry Pickers by Amanda Peters
  5.  The House of Broken Angels by Luis Alberto Urrea
  6.  Gather by Kenneth Cadow
  7.  The Bee Sting by Paul Murray
  8.  Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed
  9.  Symphony of Secrets Brendan Slocomb
  10. Suffering is Never for Nothing by Elisabeth Elliot
  11. Too Much Happiness by Alice Munro 
 
 
 

Update: How I did on my spring reading list.
Highlighted yellow: completed. 
Highlighted aqua: in progress or dnf
Highlighted green:  not completed, DNF or currently reading
Highlighted light pink: Did not get to yet!

Spring reading list:

Book Club Selections:

  1. Braiding Sweetgrass by Kimmerer (April, Group #1)
  2. West With Giraffes by Rutledge (April, Group #2)
  3. Klara and the Sun by Ishiguro (May, Group #1)
  4. The Vaster Wilds by Groff (May, Group #2)
  5. Plainsong by Haruf (June, Group #1)
  6. The River We Remember by Krueger (June, Group #2)

Challenge Books:

  1. Classics Club Spin Book TBA from this list -- Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
  2. A Past Pulitzer Prize winner from list --  Night Watch by Jayne Anne Phillips (75% complete, current winner, announced in May.)
  3. Printz Award winner or honor book from this list -- The Collectors: Stories edited by A.S. King (10% complete)
  4. My One Big Book Challenge book -- Wolf Hall by Mantel
  5. April Poetry Month: -- The Kissing of Kissing by Hannah Emerson

Books I've already started, recently acquired, and/or have on-hold at the library:

  1. My Brilliant Friend by Ferrante
  2. The Fraud by Zadie Smith
  3. The Bee Sting by Murray (Though I just got this book from the library and will likely start it this week.)
  4. The Symphony of Secrets by Slocumb
  5. Suffering is Never for Nothing by Elisabeth Elliot  (25% complete)
  6. No Cure for Being Human by Kate Bowler
  7. Tiger, Tiger, Burning Bright: Poems edited by Waters, et al (30% complete, have set aside as a DNF)

I didn't do as good as usual at finishing my reading list but this time I have a few excuses:  

  • -First, I was gone from home for five weeks out of this time period on vacation and traveling. I always think I can read more on vacations than I actually do or that my husband will agree to listen with me to audiobooks which he does not agree to, such as Wolf Hall and The Symphony of Secrets. I did read 31 books in the Spring time period, which is very average for me, I just didn't necessarily read the books I thought I was going to read when I made the list.
  • -Secondly, the library just delivered two of the books to my in-box/or for pick up: Bee Sting and The Collectors. I placed holds on them months ago and had to wait this long for my turn.
  • Thirdly, I should get credit for reading a ton of (okay, seven) poetry books during National Poetry Month in April. I just couldn't make myself finish Tiger, Tiger. It might be the size. The book is huge!

I still want to read/finish all the books highlighted in pink or green, with the exception of Tiger, Tiger so I'll add them back onto my Summer reading list.

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.