"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Friday Quotes: I Heard God Laughing

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
Th
e Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now---

Title: I Heard God Laughing: Poems of Hope and Joy by Hafiz, translated by Daniel Ladinsky

Book Beginnings (First Poem in collection):

A Divine Invitation
You have been invited to meet

The Friend.
No one can resist a Divine Invitation.
That narrows down all our choices
To just two:
We can come to God
Dressed for Dancing,
Or
Be carried on a stretcher
To God's Ward.

Friday 56 (56th poem in collection):

Your Beautiful Parched, Holy Mouth
A poet is someone
Who can pour Light into a spoon,
Then raise it
To nourish
Your beautiful parched, holy mouth. 


Comments: Where have I been? Hafiz, a fourteenth century poet from Persia, has obviously been around a lot longer than me, yet I just discovered him this week. How can that be? I am loving every minute with this small volume of poetry. Don't you just love the two samples? I sometimes do feel like poetry nourishes my parched soul.

11 comments:

  1. Great choice for National Poetry Month. Thanks for stopping by my blog, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Admittedly, I don't read much poetry, but I really should. This one looks pretty interesting. Thanks for mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating quotes! Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the poems you've shared and the collection title. I must give this poet a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice poems. I have Spill Zone by Scott Westerfeld - a graphic novel - this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love Hafiz! Not as much as I love Rumi, but close :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great choice for the end of poetry month! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't pick up enough poetry. Glad to hear you are enjoying this one. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poetry is a lovely choice. I need to read more, and should definitely make the time.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.