"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, March 13, 2017

Sunday Salon on Monday, March 13th

(Rain, rain, go away. Come again some other day.) Photo credit: LegendNation

Weather: RAIN. This past week we also had snow, hail, sleet, fog, sun, and more rain.

Cousin's Shower: My youngest cousin had a baby in November. All my attempts (more mental than anything) to get up to Seattle to meet and welcome Miss Zoe were for naught, so I organized a shower to meet and greet the latest member of our family. Yesterday four cousins, my aunt, my sister, my daughter and son-in-law came to our house for a baby shower. I am still basking in the glow of the event. It was so good to be together with family, especially since we rarely gather together, chatting and catching up on our lives. And of course, Miss Zoe, allowed us all to snuggle her a little bit. What a doll.

More visits for my 60 for my 60th: This was a busy week on my yearlong plan to reconnect with my friends and relatives: Cousin's Shower---four cousins, one aunt, one sister = six; coffee date with friend Margaret = one; dinner at a Mexican restaurant with my cousin's daughter and her husband = two. Total for the week = nine. My little plan is working out well.

Prayers for: My father and my brother. My dad is unwell. He has a mass in his abdomen, is experiencing pain, and no appetite. He has a CAT scan scheduled for Thursday. Prayers that they find an answer and some relief. My brother will be receiving his last melanoma treatment this week but he has also been unwell with chest congestion and a horrible cough. Prayers that he is well enough to get his last treatment and that he gains strength and lung function going forward.

Books completed this past week (a lot of poetry):
  • Selections from Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman...what can I say? I finally read at least some of this famous American poet's poems and enjoyed the experience. Check out my review by clicking the hyperlink. (Print)
  • Howl and other poems by Allen Ginsberg...what can I say? I finally read this famous poet's small volume of poems patterned after Whitman's and I admit it, I hated them. (Print)
  • A List of Cages by Robin Roe...my first potential Mock Printz book of the year and not a good starter for me. I sped-read through the middle of this very disturbing book about foster care, abuse, and neglect. But also about the power of friendship. I won't be recommending this book for our reading list. (E-Book)
Currently reading:
  • LaRose by Louise Erdrich...several generations of individuals with the name LaRose in a Native American community. Pretty complicated but it does provide a peek at what life is like on the reservation. I love this author. (Audio, 72%)
  • History is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera...another YA Mock Printz contender. (E-book, just starting)
  • Sad Animal Facts by Brooke Barker . Illustrated, silly book about animals. (Print, 11%)
For your listening enjoyment: So excellent.


Have a good week!

ANNE


8 comments:

  1. I love the idea of 60 visits for your 60th! Hmm. Now I want to come up with a list of 44 things to do this year for my 44th year. :-) Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. I get so busy I don't always get back to comment unless I get a comment to return from someone else! Glad to see you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 60 for your 60th seems to be going well. I love the idea! I am just starting a Maisie Dobbs book and have 2 YA Winner books waiting in the wings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear A List of Cages was a disappointment. I hope the doctors are able to help your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: LaRose. Having lived on "the Rez" for the last 14 years, and taught in the local high school where about 70% of our students are Native American, I found a lot of truth in this book...especially the end. The message of renewal, hope, and the future really rang true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love The Sound of Silence...it makes me feel young, since I used to hear it all the time back in the day. Thanks!

    I need to read more from Louise Erdrich. Thanks for sharing, and have a great week; and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm jealous of anyone who's gotten snow this week. I know, it's a pain and all that, but it's been really warm where I am and sometimes you just get tired of all the sunshine. Of course, grass is always greener and all that. Sending positive vibes for your father and brother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Anne - I am so very sorry to hear about your father & brother. As you know, we have experienced melanoma in my family, too - it's a tough one. I hope for the best possible outcomes for both of them & am thinking of you and your family.

    Similar weather here - mix today of snow, sleet, freezing rain, and ice - yuck!

    Glad you are enjoying LaRose. I haven't read Whitman since HS (with a teacher who hated Whitman!) so i really want to read this classic, too.

    Thinking of you, Anne -

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about Uncle Bob. Prayers for him, and for Tony, too. We hope they both will get their strength back and feel better soon. <3

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.