"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, September 18, 2016

YALSA's Backlist Reading Challenge


Check it out! YALSA is hosting an awesome reading challenge: to read award books you may have missed from past years.

Between now and Nov. 15th attempt to read five books to create a BINGO, or if you have nothing else to do, go for a BLACKOUT!

Here is a link to the YALSA Website which contains links to all the YALSA AWARD and BOOKLISTS.

Since I am still focused on reading potential Printz Award candidates for this year I do not want to pick up a new challenge myself but I wanted to see if I could actually fill in all the blanks from past reading since I do attempt to read the award winners every year and I did it. Check out my list below of books I have already read. I scored a blackout (but did all my reading before this challenge actually started.)

All the Light We Cannot See/Doerr
(Alex Award 2016)

Ghosts of Heaven/Sedgwick
(2016 Printz Honor)

Dreams of Gods and Monsters/ Taylor
(Amazing Audiobook 2015)
Audacity/
Crowder
(Top Ten BFYA 2016)
Nimona/
Stevenson
(Quick Picks for Reluctant Readers 2016)
The Fault in Our Stars /Green
(2013 Odyssey winner)
Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda/Albertalli
(2016 Morris Award winner)

Bone Gap /Ruby
(2016 Printz Award winner)
Rotters/ Kraus (Odyssey 2012, outside my comfort range)
Nimona/ Stevenson
(Great Graphic Novels 2016)
Brown Girl Dreaming/ Jaqueline Woodsen (2015 Coretta Scott King Author Award)
Love Dictionary/ David Levithan (2016 Edwards Author Award Winner)
FREE
Eleanor and Park/ Rowell (2014 Printz Honor)
Speak/ Anderson (Popular Paperbacks 2015)
Gabi, a Girl in Pieces/ Quintero (on both Quick Picks and BFYA 2015)
Looking for Alaska/ Green (2005 Printz Award; reread in 2014)
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time/ Haddon (Alex Award; reread in 2014)
We Are All Made of Molecules/ Neilson (Rainbow Book List 2015)

The Carnival at Bray/ Foley (2015 Morris Honor Book)
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (2013 Pura Belpre Winner)
Jackaby/Ritter (BFYA 2015)
Porcupine the Truth/ Konigsberg (Stonewall Award 2016)
The Unlikely Hero of Room 13-B/ Toten (Schneider Family Book Award 2016)
Most Dangerous: Daniel Ellsberg and the Secret History of the Vietnam War/ Sheinkin (YALSA Excellence in Nonfiction 2016)


4 comments:

  1. I'm doing this challenge, too! I'm going for the top horizontal line - and I've just finished Eleanor and Park for the Printz Honor book. Good luck and I hope you like Jackaby! It's one of my favorite series! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too busy right now reading Printz Contenders for the year so I am not participating in the challenge. I just wanted to do an execrise to see if I have actually read a book in the past five years which would qualify for each blank and I have! I wish you luck on reading your five. Glad you are enjoying Eleanor and Park.

      Delete
  2. Looks like fun! Too bad I am already into too many challenges!

    Enjoy it - looks perfect for you!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be perfect for me if I wasn't so busy on other challenges. That is why I created the second chart to show the books I have read already on each square.

      Delete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.