"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Pierce County Reads Book(s) announced today!



Each year Pierce County selects one book for the Pierce County Reads book of the year. This year Pierce County Reads is breaking through a stereotype. Instead of selecting one fairly newly published book, usually nonfiction with a local connection, the committee decided to highlight five books by a Washington author, Sherman Alexie. they also made the announcement a few weeks early to allow readers to read as many of the books as they can before the finale event with Alexie on April 29th. In early March additional activities will be announced by the library system which will augment reading the books.

Each year my SOTH Book Club suspends our previously scheduled book selection in favor of reading the Pierce County Reads book. In 2008 we read The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian as one of our club books. Since many new members weren't in the club at the time, but many others were, my suggestion will be that club members select one or two of the books they'd like to read so when we get to our club meeting all five books should be represented.

I'm excited for a few reasons. First, I have an excuse to read more Sherman Alexie books. Secondly, I get to go to another event where he is speaking. I've attended two of these events and enjoyed both of them so much.

“THE WORLD’S FIRST FAST-TALKING, WISECRACKING, MEDIAGENIC AMERICAN-INDIAN SUPERSTAR.”                                                                                 Mens’ Journal, on Sherman Alexie

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/entertainment/arts-culture/article58653643.html#storylink=cpy

For the official announcement read The News Tribune article.

Let the reading begin!

5 comments:

  1. Let's discuss doing this at our next BC meeting. Which book do you think would be the best choice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read The Absolutely True Diary among these five choices. It is YA and so, so good. I am due for a reread on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choice! Like you, I've only read The Absolutely True...but it was great!

    Enjoy -

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, can I become a honorary Pierce countian? Besides Part-Time Indian, I loved The Lone Ranger and Tonto and Flight. I've heard Alexie interviewed on NPR, but never seen him in person. Maybe a road trip is in my future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, come to the event and read as many of Alexie's books as you can. Welcome!

      Delete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.