It's Top Ten Tuesday. This week's topic: Favorite books read so far in 2014. That is a toughie. It is hard to remember my favorites. I consulted Goodreads and listed my 5-star books in the order I read them.
1. The Round House by Louise Erdrich...it reads like a modern classic. Set on a Native American reservation. It is a coming-of-age story and a murder mystery. My first 5-star of the year.
2. Go: A Kidd's Guide to Graphic Design by Chip Kidd...this guy know graphic design and the book is proof of his craft. I learned a lot and enjoyed myself at the same time.
3. The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman...a favorite author does it again, Gaiman writes a book that is a bit scary and very creative.
4. Wonder by R.J. Palacio...everyone should read this Junior book about a boy who has a facial deformity. It is a book about friendship and acceptance. Very inspiring.
5. How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare by Ken Ludwig...I was completely inspired to incorporate more Shakespeare into my life.
6. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon...a book about a book and the tangled lives of the author and owner of the book. Set in Barcelona.
7. Cress by Marissa Meyer...the only YA book on my list. This is the third book in the Lunar Chronicles series.
8. Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter...I really got "into" the theme of this book of ruins. It has a cast of quirky characters and is partially set in Italy.
9. Rules of Summer by Shaun Tan...I just love anything and everything by Shaun Tan.
10. The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin...this is a book for people who love books and bookstores, and for those who believe in the transformative power of literature in our lives. This will be the book I recommend to friends and family this year.