"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Sunday Salon, December 8th


Weather: cold and clear. Our family to the south (Oregon) have snow. Will that storm make it this far north?

Yesterday: we put up our new Christmas tree which we purchased because our old one was too big. After we got it up my husband checked the old box and the new tree is exactly the same height as the last. Ha! I decorated it with all the Raggedy Anne ornaments my sister has been giving me for thirty years. Pretty cute, huh?

Friday: we attended the Seattle University choir concert at St Joseph's Church in Seattle. We look forward to this concert as the start to each holiday season. Since our daughter is a senior this may be our last time attending. Sigh. I am listening to the CD of their Christmas program from several years ago right now. My favorite song is Angels We Have Heard on High because the girls in the balcony sing the chorus and another group of girls in the transept sing the echo. Lovely.

This past week in the library: I was alone again. My help from the previous weeks had to go to another school as their substitute librarian. I worked all week on trying to straighten out accounts and only just touched a tiny portion of the problems. I did add new books to the system, though. I had these books all ready to go except for adding the barcode into the system when it came back up. My Mock Printz team seems back on track which feels good.

This coming week: I have two meetings, one Christmas band concert, and two Christmas parties to attend. The season has begun.

Book read this week:
  • Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell---one of those books I didn't want to finish, where I want the characters as my friends. Please read my review here.
Currently reading:
  • Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver---I am listening to the audiobook which has over 20 hours of listening on 16 CDs. this will be my second longest audiobook. It may take me a month to finish!
  • September Girls by Bennett Madison---one reviewer said this was on her short list of books to win the Printz this year. Thought I'd better check it out.
Second Sunday of Advent: Today's sermon topic was the immaculate conception and Mary's willingness to do the will of God. The photo shows our sanctuary just prior to the service. Isn't it lovely and serene?



I'm praying for: two friends who have husbands ill with cancer; one nearing the end of his life, the other just making decisions about his treatment options.

From the kitchen: Chocolate crinkle cookies. A new, delicious recipe.

Favorite video of the week: amazing Piano Guys playing Angels We Have Heard on High:


Have a wonderful week!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing with us! Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing, Anne. Hope you stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I just love your thoughts for today! Thank you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lovely week with good food and decorating. We still haven't gotten a tree so our house feels a bit empty. We were in Chicago for dance over the weekend and boy was it COLD! I loved Fangirl and am glad to hear you did too. This weekend I read her novel Eleanor and Park, which was just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh...chocolate crinkle cookies....sounds sooooo good! I am on a no-sugar diet at the moment, due to some increased health problems the past few months, and my sweet tooth is raging! It's killing me...and cookies are my #1 craving right now. I really need to get over this before Christmas!

    Anyway, sounds like you are enjoying the holiday season. I've heard so many good things about Fangirl. And we've listened to some long audio books - various Harry Potters and Stephen Kings come to mind - but Rotters is definitely on the list!! I've been listening for 2 months now and am still not finished.

    Enjoy your books this week -

    Sue

    Book By Book

    Book by Book is now on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love your post!!! I may need to copy yours if that's okay. I love your tree and love the dolls...what a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.