Sunday Salon---2011 Christmas Edition
I'm thankful for: My family. I have such a generous, caring husband and thoughtful, intelligent daughters. Both my parents are still living---they are caring and supportive. My husband's father is healthy and happy. My three siblings are happily married with wonderful families. We enjoy our chances to get together, which we will do in a few days from now when we gather for our "second" Christmas.
Favorites: Christmas related things that are my "favorites":
- Christmas carol: "Silent Night" or "Joy to the World". But I do love singing almost all of the old Christmas hymns.
- Book: It is a toss-up between The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson and The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog by Dave Barry. I guess that The Best Xmas Pageant wins out for longevity. I've been reading it every Christmas since I was a kid. Both are poignant AND funny.
- Traditions: a) kids not allowed downstairs on Christmas morning until they hear the Halleluiah Chorus; b) Christmas breakfast of crepes.
- Treat: (Several favorites): Almond Roca; coconut bon-bons; shortbread cookies.
- Holiday movie: It's a Wonderful Life with Jimmy Stewart.
I'm reading: The Death Cure by James Dashner, the third book in the Maze Runner trilogy.
Book finished this week: The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan, and several holiday books.
Lists I am making: You'd think I was done with lists for a while, but now I am making lists of things I want to take to Oregon when we go for the family reunion in a few days..
Scripture lesson in church: Isaiah 12:2---"Surely God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid, for the Lord God is my strength and my might; and has become my salvation."
I'm praying for: Peace in our world.
Around the house: The living room is still a mess with all the trappings of Christmas presents. Guests arrive in a few hours. Time to make this place look presentable.
From the kitchen: Homemade apple pie with crumb topping; savory turkey, cranberry salad, green bean bake, rolls with homemade raspberry jam, plus we are starting with shrimp cocktails for hors d'hoeuves. (My neighbor is bringing potatoes, gravy, and another dessert.)
A favorite quote this week: The day before before Christmas is "Christmas Adam." Get it? (Adam comes before Eve.)