These ten books are the favorite YA novels that I read this past summer:
1. The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
-Deeply moving and poetic; a story of grief and of young love.
2. The Last Summer of the Death Warriors by Francisco X. Stork- Two boys find acceptance and peace through their friendship; very spiritual.
3. The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
- Exciting adventure fantasy set on a planet where all thoughts are heard.
4. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins-The last book in the Hunger Games Trilogy; lots of plot twists and turns.
5. Deadline by Chris Crutcher
6. Purple Heart by Patricia McCormick
-A soldier in Iraq has trouble with his memory after a bomb explodes near him.
7. Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi
8. The Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene
-A young girl meets a German POW near her home in Arkansas; a classic
9. The Card Turner by Louis Sachar
- A quirky book about friendship, family, love, and playing bridge.
10. Nothing by Janne Teller (translated from Danish)
- A disturbing tale about how far kids will go to prove their point.