"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, April 21, 2024

Sunday Salon ... TULIPS!

Tulip hearts

Weather: Overcast and cool. The current weather blew into our area yesterday afternoon with quite a strong blast. It had been warm and beautiful for the days preceding it.

Tulips: Don and I drove to the Skagit Valley, two hours north of us toward Canada, to gawk at the tulips this past Friday. The skies were so clear we could see all the peaks in the North Cascades mountain range, including Mt. Baker. We could also see the Olympic Mountain range to the west of us as we drove north. There were scads of people at the tulip fields. All of us were flocking to see the beautiful flowers, jostling for the best positions for photos.  And now without further ado, here are a few of the photos to give you an idea of our experience.






The lone white tulip

Mt. Baker behind the foothills.

Good advice.

Books and blogging: 
  • I finished only one book this week: When You Ask Me Where I'm Going by Jasmin Kaur. A poetry book by a Sikh Canadian woman. Many of the poems really touched me but the middle of the book (section 2) abruptly changed to a novel-in-verse. It just didn't work for me from that point on. 3 stars.
  • I am almost finished with several books:
    • West With Giraffes by Linda Rutledge. A book club selection for this coming Wednesday's meeting. It is a cute, unique story. Two men are driving giraffes from New York to San Diego in the 1930s. The story's tone seems like the whole project is teetering on the edge of disaster the whole time. I'm finding myself a bit impatient with the pacing. 52%, audiobook.
    • Suddenly We by Evie Shockley. Another poetry collection. Once again, many of the poems spoke directly to me, while others were a complete miss. I especially liked the concrete poems. 89%, print.
    • Prequel: An American Fight Against Fascism by Rachel Maddow. This nonfiction book takes a look at another time in American History when Fascism gained a toe-hold. It is frightening the parallels with the politics of today. 66%, audiobook.
    • Serenity: Poems by S.F. Yousef. Another poetry book which isn't matching my mood. Some good, some sappy. 21%, print.
  • Blogging: 
Precious and hilarious: Our daughter and grandson went for a hike today. This is the photo she sent us to show his hiking outfit:
Cute, but not sure what I'm seeing

Ah. The close-up shows a bear, jaguar, Luigi, medal-decorated, boot-wearing creature! It is so fun being three!


I know you are laughing right now. You are welcome. Have a great week!

-Anne


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.