"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, February 18, 2019

TTT: Books I loved that have less than 2000 Goodreads reviews

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Love That Have Less Than 2000 Goodreads Reviews


Couch by Benjamin Parzybok---Has 793 ratings/ 158 reviews. I think this book is hilarious, really super funny. But some of the gals in my book club hated it. I admit I like quirky books and this book is very QUIRKY.

She Walks In Beauty: A Woman's Journey Through Poems by Caroline Kennedy---1943 ratings/ 299 reviews. This is a very nice collection of themed poems edited by Caroline Kennedy, who like her famous mother, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, loves poetry.

Failing Up: How to Take Risks, Aim Higher, and Never Stop Learning by Leslie Odom, Jr.---1480 ratings/ 286 reviews. The Broadway actor/singer, famous for his role in Hamilton: the Musical, talks about how to go for your goals and other inspiring advice.

The Grand Escape: The Greatest Prison Breakout of the 20th Century by Neal Bascomb--- 504 ratings/ 115 reviews. This nonfiction book covers a fascinating account of a prisoner of war breakout during WWI. It was written like one of the best spy novels.

The Faithful Spy: Dietrich Bonhoeffer and the Plot to Kill Hitler by John Hendrix--- 704 ratings/ 226 reviews. A graphic biographic about a German pastor who worked to kill Hitler. I learned a lot. This was the SH Nonfiction Cybils Award winner

Boots On the Ground: America's War in Vietnam by Elizabeth Partridge---335 ratings/ 111 reviews. This was the JH Nonfiction Cybils Award winner this year, a fantastic look at the whole war from a variety of angles.

The Apocalypse of Elena Mendoza by Shaun David Hutchinson---1791 ratings/ 279 reviews. This is a fun, quirky, part Sci-Fi, YA novel that got a lot of critical acclaim last year, but apparently not many teens read it.

Picture Us In the Light by Kelly Loy Gilbert--- 1403 ratings/ 417 reviews. Another YA title that got great professional reviews last year and actually earned an honor for the Stonewall book award.

Dreaming the Beatles: The Love Story of One Band and the Whole World by Rob Sheffield---1254 ratings/ 229 reviews. This is the best Beatles book ever written. How can it have so few reviews?

We Say #NeverAgain: Reporting by the Parkland Students Journalists edited by Melissa Falkowski---152 ratings/ 36 reviews. These are the students who survived a gun shooting at their school and helped start the #Never Again movement for sane gun laws. I am very sad it has been reviewed so few times.

I should say that I am one of those people who rarely reviews books on Goodreads. I will fill out a rating but usually review books on my blog.


24 comments:

  1. Oh wow, you've got a nice range of genres here. I haven't heard of any of them, though I suppose that's not surprising given the topic. Going to have to go look them up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boots on the Ground and The Apocalypse of elena Mendoza both sound fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of these books. It looks like a great selection though. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting choices. I live for quirky so will definitely have to check out Couch. Thank you for the recommendation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couch is like Lord of the Rings except funny and with a couch.

      Delete
  5. Hopefully some of the newer books on your list will get more traction this year, Boots on the Ground is on my tbr for certain.
    My TTT:
    https://thecandleenthusiast.wordpress.com/2019/02/19/top-ten-tuesday-underrated-books-mash-up/

    Been meaning to mention that I adore your Groucho quote on your scroller, one of my faves<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Picture Us in the Light and The Apocalypse of Elena Mendoza are both on my TBR but I haven't heard of any of the others.
    The Faithful Spy looks awesome too.
    Ash @ JennRenee Read
    Our Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Faithful Spy is certainly worth a read since it really happened but the medium is so accessible.

      Delete
  7. Boots on the Ground sounds interesting.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gave me a very rounded picture of the war and the after-war.

      Delete
  8. Falling Up sounds like a fantastic read. I'm going to see if I can find a copy of it.

    My Top Ten Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Request it from your library. If they don't have it, they should.

      Delete
  9. Ah, "The Couch!" Were you and I the only ones who liked it? I think Diane K. did as well. Quirky indeed, but fun to read and discuss!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to check out Picture Us in the Light. I remembering hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh I've had a copy of The Grand Escape that I've been meaning to get to. Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much, that makes me more excited. I've heard some awesome things about The Apocalypse of Elena Mendoza, I'm surprised it doesn't have 2000 reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Falling Up sounds good. I read Bonhoeffer: Pastor Martyr Prophet Spy several years ago and I liked it; The Faithful Spy might be good too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, so my question is...how on earth did you make this list and figure out which books you'd read that had so few reviews? I did a reading challenge 2 years ago and one category was "a book with fewer than X reviews" and I had no idea how to figure that out!

    I have never heard of any of these, so thanks for opening my eyes!

    And happy birthday!!!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to have to add The Grand Escape to my tbr. :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never paid attention to how many reviews a book has on Goodreads. Unless it has hardly any. Now I'll pay attention!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read any of these! I did see a ton of hype about The Apocalypse of Elena Mendoza. I'm kind of shocked it doesn't have more ratings/reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really want to read Leslie Odom Jr.'s book! I love him so much. Thank you for reminding me! I have also had my eye out on The Apocalypse of Elena Mendoza. I looks so good. Great list <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's always such fun to spotlight the books we enjoy that are underrated. Thank goodness Goodreads makes it easy to do this too!! So glad you enjoyed all of these, Anne - and many thanks for making Finding Wonderland one of your Top Ten Tuesday stops. :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.