"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, April 25, 2014

Friday posts: April 25th

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't dig for their favorite book, the coolest, or the most intellectual. They use the one they are currently reading.

Book: Secret Son by Laila Lalami

Book Beginnings:
"The rain came unexpectedly, after nearly three years of drought. In those days, Youssef still lived with his mother in a whitewashed house that huddled with other others like it along a narrow dirt road. The house had one room with no windows, and a roof made of corrugated tin held down by rocks."
Friday 56:
"His mother was sitting cross-legged on the floor, piling couscous into a mound on a large plate..."
My thoughts: This is a book I have to read for book club. Reviews on it are mixed, some love and others hate it. From the first quote to the one I found on page 56,  it sure doesn't seem to be an action-filled tale.  I certainly get it that the boy and his mother are poor, very poor. They live in Casablanca. I've never read a book set in Morrocco. For that reason I will try to maintain an open mind as I start the book this week-end.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like Youssef and his mother know what hard living is all about.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.