"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, February 22, 2016

TTT: Books outside my comfort genres which I really liked

Hosted at Broke and Bookish

TTT: Books I ended up really liking even though they aren't in my comfort genre zone.

The Golem and the Jinni (The Golem and the Jinni, #1)1. The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker...I'm actually not sure if this book is considered to be fantasy, or mythology retold, or just a tad of horror. Anyway, I don't usually pick up books like this one, but I really enjoyed it and it has "stuck well" in my memory.


One Hundred Years of Solitude

2. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez...probably the most famous of all magical realism books. It was a lot of work, but ended up really enjoying this one.



Steve Jobs: Insanely Great

3. Steve Jobs: Insanely Great by Jessie Hartland... a graphic biography of the famous founder of Apple. I found this format to be very accessible.



The Martian

4. The Martian by Andy Weir...Science fiction is not my typical genre, especially one stuffed so full of real science. Loved it, though.



The Woman in White

5. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins...I have just recently started reading Classics and this one delighted me. It is not only a classic but also a mystery. Bonus.



Felicity

6. Felicity by Mary Oliver...poetry. I've only started reading poetry the past few years and I become a huge fan.



The Ocean at the End of the Lane

7. The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman...I don't read horror because I really get scared, but I read this one because I love the author and really enjoyed it.



I had to stretch pretty far back to get seven titles because I am such a reading omnivore. As I perused my reading list for the past two years I kept thinking that it wasn't unusual that I read such a variety of genres: history, nonfiction, realistic, humorous, graphic novels, mysteries, romances, classics, etc.


9 comments:

  1. Great list Anne! :-) I enjoyed The Ocean At The End of The Lane, even though it was out of my comfort zone too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great list. I probably could have included classics on my list. I read so few of those anymore. The Woman in White was so good! I loved the Gaiman book you mentioned. Horror isn't a genre I read a lot of either. I nearly came to the conclusion that magical realism wasn't for me after reading One Hundred Years of Solitude. I didn't care for that one. Fortunately Alice Hoffoman made me see the light. Now I just know it depends on the book and author. :-) Thanks for sharing and for dropping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Martian seems to be on EVERYONE'S Top Ten! It made mine, but I didn't really care for it! :\
    Great Top Ten!
    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is quite a wide range of genres. I'm try to keep open to genres outside my zone but it's not always easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved The Martian, too! Also enjoyed The Ocean at the End of the Lane but I wouldn't have called it horror. hmmm....maybe fantasy? Either way, it would still be outside of my typical reading genres, too!

    And I have heard SO many people say that about The Golem and the Jinni - I really have to make time for that one finally.

    Great list!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most of the books we read for Book Club are out of my normal genre, which is mystery. :) I have branched out into YA though, partly thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love The Ocean at the End of the Lane and I really need to read One Hundred Years of Solitude. Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen so many people talk about The Martian this week - as one that they didn't expect to like but really loved. Guess I should read it too ;) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Martian and The Ocean at the End of the Lane were awesome - anything by Neil Gaiman is really. I've got a copy of The Golem and the Jinni, now I just need to make time for it! :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.