"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

TTT: My favorite YA books read so far in 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: My favorite YA books I've read in 2017 so far

1. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
This is by far my favorite book of the year. And I think this book will clean up come award season. In fact, it has already won the Boston Globe/Horn Book Award. (Pub. date: 2017)

2. Scythe by Neal Shusterman
This book won a Printz Honor in January. It is a uniquely, exciting book. (Pub. date: 2016)


3. When We Collided by Emery Lord
A realistic look at mental illness and a sweet new-love story. This one won the Schneider Family Award for books representing disabilities in a positive light. (Pub. date: 2016)

4. Undefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team by Steve Sheinkin
I learned so much about this uniquely talented American athlete. Sheinkin is a very strong writer. (Pub. date: 2017)

5. Allegedly by Tiffany Jackson
Plot twists make this book surprisingly good. (Pub. date: 2017)

6. Vincent and Theo: The Van Gogh Brothers by Deborah Heiligman
So well researched and written. (Pub. date: 2017)

7. The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon
The time-line of this love story is improbable but it is still sweet. It was also a Printz Honor book. (Pub. date: 2016)

8. City of Saints and Thieves by Natalie Anderson
A mystery set in Kenya. I found it fascinating and compelling. (Pub. date: 2017)

9. Wolf by Wolf by Ryan Gaudin
An alternative history. What if the Axis powers won the second world war? What would you do if you were in a position to kill Hitler? (Pub. date: 2015)

*10. Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor
I am not quite done with this book yet, but close enough to know it deserves to be on this list. Another fantastic fantasy series opener by one of my favorite authors. (Pub. date: 2017)


4 comments:

  1. Oh my, congratulations on your retirement! Enjoy the reading and thinking time!

    I loved Strange the Dreamer and Scythe. I think The Hate U Give was over-hyped to me and while I really liked it, it didn't wow me as much as I expected. I've been mulling it over--there is a lot I admire about it, but I just didn't FEEL it as much as I did, say How It Went Down or All American Boys. When We Collided was good, as was Wolf by Wolf. I'm looking forward to all the others on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Hate U Give checked out for summer reading but I haven't had a chance to read it. I've been trying to be good in finishing my ARC pile before the ALA ARC craziness. I also need to get to the others before the year ends too. So many books, I can't keep up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say The Hate U Give is easily one of my favorites as well! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great list! I've got Scythe at home as one of my summer YA books to read and I'm really looking forward to it

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.