|Broke and Bookish|
I actually buy very few books for myself. I am a big user of public libraries and, of course, my own library, so I didn't think I'd find ten books that I have purchased for myself that I haven't read just lying around the house. But as I started looking through bookshelves and perusing the various book piles around the house, low and behold, I found more than ten. Here's a few of the books I just had to buy and I haven't read yet!
1. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy- I bought this paperback edition of the Russian classic when I was in junior high. I have carted it around with me for years, longer than any of book on this list.
2. Where the Bluebird Sings to the Lemonade Springs by Wallace Stegner- I purchased this after reading two phenomenal books by Stegner: Crossing to Safety and The Angle of Repose. That was over ten years ago. Hmm...
3. A Fine Balance by Ohinton Mistry- I've had this highly recommended book around for years...will there ever be time to read it?
4. The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz- I bought this at a bookstore at O'Hare Airport in Chicago where my husband and I were on a forced layover for over 24 hours. I think it has too many negative feelings associated with it because of that experience for me to want to finish it.
5. Speaking with the Angel edited by Nick Hornby- a collection of short stories that I purchased used specifically to read the short story by Hornby entitled "NippleJesus." I did read that story but want to read more. (Yes, that story is funny, by the way.)
6. How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas Foster- I don't have a clue how to read literature like a professor, I haven't read the book!
7. Plan of Attack by Bob Woodward- I bought this book at the height of my "I'm mad at George Bush" phase. I'm over it and I never read the book.
8. Bowerman and the Men of Oregon by Kenny Moore- Hmmm...maybe this book just isn't my cup of tea. I typically don't read sports books. What was I thinking when I bought it?
9. Small Wonder by Barbara Kingsolver and
10. Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver- I'm a huge Kingsolver fan so I have no idea why I haven't set aside time to read these two by her but they are hanging around waiting for that time.
And this one may not count because I am currently reading it and I'm sure I'll finish it...
Lady Susan, The Watsons, and Sanditon by Jane Austen- I still have the store receipt in the book: September 10, 2010. Not bad. Six months and I'll have it done! Ha!