"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Saturday, February 26, 2011

"My Boom" things

There is a really fun Asian-fusion restaurant in Seattle called Boom Noodle. Here's what it says in its menu about the word "boom" in the name:
In Japan today there is a popular term, “my boom” that means, “The thing I am currently obsessed with.” Our “my boom” is Japanese cuisine, and we are grateful to you for letting us create our food for you.
They are into Japanese Cuisine. I'm into books and many other things. What are the things that I am currently obsessed with? Here's a few:

1.  The book Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese.  I know this will be my favorite book club selection for the whole year and it is only February.  The book has everything that I like in a novel:
  • a strong sense of place with descriptions that make me feel like I am there--in this case it is Ethiopia;
  • quirky, interesting characters who are multi-faceted who grow and change over the years and hold fascinating conversations;
  • a thread or theme that is pulled through the story to bring a sense of connection throughout--absent parents seem present throughout this tale; 
  • and a book that causes me to learn something--I learned a bunch about the history of the Ethiopian conflict in the 1960s and 1970s plus a ton about medicine and certain medical conditions.
2.  The author John Green- Actually John Green has been my boom author for years.  I keep thinking I will find another YA author that I love as much as John and it hasn't happened yet. I've read all his books and consider myself a closet Nerdfighter (though I have trouble doing the hand sign) and enjoy watching videos of the Vlogbrothers (John and brother Hank) with my daughter Carly. Below is a video of John doing fitness for nerds.



King George VI
Mr. Darcy
3. Colin Firth is my boom actor.  This obsession with Firth was reignited after seeing the movie The King's Speech but actually started when he played Mr. Darcy in the BBC mini-series of Pride and Prejudice.
****Update: Colin Firth just won the Academy Award for best actor!  YES!!!!!

4. My current game obsession is Wii Party, especially Swap Meet. I hate to admit it, but it is true, when I'm not reading, I'm most likely playing this game.

5.  Opals are my boom apples.  They are a new variety that look like Golden Delicious but taste like Honey Crisp.  Yum!  If you ever see them, buy them!  You won't regret it.




2/27/11 Updated #6.  Autotune the News. They had a wonderful and fun music montage on the Oscars tonight.  My favorite news stories they've  put to music are: Bed Intruder and Eccentric Witness Song. Funny. Funny. Funny.


What are you currently obsessed with? What are your booms?

7 comments:

  1. My boom food is NUTELLA!!! I can't seem to get enough of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Cutting for Stone too-although it is very long at 688 pages! It was worth every page. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot to mention the fact that Wii party was my Christmas present... but you are so tricky cause I don't have a wii at school so you get to keep it and play all the time.

    I think my boom is currently Glee... it has been for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cutting for Stone was tied as my #1 pick for 2009, along with The Help....both were such great books. Glad you loved it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh...thanks for the Colin Firth eye candy :D I can't wait for the Oscars tonight--he's sure to win. My boom right now is watching old Looney Tunes cartoons, playing Scrabble, and collecting lots of ideas for a dream classroom (*crossing fingers for a job in the fall*).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just saw The King's Speech last night; what an amazing movie! There was nothing I didn't like about it

    Cutting for Stone... I read it this past week and while I ended it on a high note, I had real trouble for the first 200 pages or so

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.youtube.com/user/vlogbrothers#p/u/0/FyQi79aYfxU
    this is a little over a year old... but since you are a new nerdfighter I thought it was important that you watch it.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.