"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, March 19, 2010

How to Say Goodbye in Robot by Natalie Standiford


I enjoyed this quirky, coming-of-age novel immensely and I think it would work for all teen readers. However, the hot pink book jacket and pink chapter dividers certainly give the wrong impression of this book. I'd guess by the cover that the book was going to be some frilly "girl" book or some teen romance novel when in actuality it is a sensitive book about two people, Jonah--aka Ghost Boy, and Bea--Robot Girl, who are simpatico in nearly every respect.

Bea, a recent high school transplant from New York, finds herself drawn to Jonah, a misfit in her new school. Jonah introduces her to the bizarre but engaging Night Light, a midnight radio show haunted by some of Baltimore’s loneliest weirdos. As much as I wanted them to become a couple, their relationship isn't meant for romance, but is a tumultuous, deep friendship. "The heart of this novel is neither cold and metallic nor full of romance and delusion. Instead, it’s very human." (Booklist)

Like Jonah's and Bea's friendship the reviews on this book are very hot and cold. I fall on the hot side. I found the book engaging. I liked the characters and the unconventional storyline. I look forward to recommending it to my teen readers.

Young Adults; 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.