Monday, September 14, 2026

TTT: Authors I Would Like to Meet



Top Ten Tuesday: Authors I Would Like to Meet and Visit Over a Cup of Coffee or a Glass of Wine

Lately I've been including my husband and his opinions more in the topics I am pondering for upcoming blog posts. Today when I asked him what authors he'd like to meet, he made a big deal about this being more than a handshake and getting a signature in a book. He'd want to sit and visit over a beer and really have a good chat with the authors. I mulled this over. I am much more of an introvert than he is and the idea of actually sitting down and visiting with these authors sort of terrified me. But putting my fears aside, these are the authors I really would like to chat with if the occasion were ever to arise.

In 2017 I created a list of Authors I've Met.

David Attenborough
He is one of my heroes and I know I don't have much more time to make this dream a reality since he is over 100 years old. I recommend this book: A Life On Our Planet: My Witness Statement. On my TBR, Ocean: Earth's Last Wilderness.

Ann Patchett
Of all the authors on this list it sort of seems like Ann Patchett is just a regular gal who happens to write my kind of books. After she published her most recent book, Whistler, I read an interview where she said, and I'm paraphrasing, she has decided to write about normal people who don't have some huge trauma they are dealing with and who decide to be humane and kind. I like that.

Louise Erdrich
Both Erdrich and Patchett own bookstores and are leading literary features in their communities. Don and I agreed on Erdrich for our lists today. I rely on authors to help me understand other points of view so I lean quite heavily on Erdrich for insights into Indigenous cultures. My recent favorite book of hers is The Sentence, but I also am a huge fan of her Justice Trilogy with The Round House being my favorite of the three books.

Michelle Obama
I was going to say Barack Obama but when my husband said I had to sit and drink a cup of coffee with my choices, I imagined myself too tongue-tied to hold up my end of the conversation with him. But Michelle Obama is another thing. I loved her book Becoming. I even attended a book event at the Tacoma Dome where Jimmy Kimmel interviewed her. So inspiring.

Barbara Kingsolver
For years now, when asked, I will identify Kingsolver as my favorite author. Her new books are always on my TBR long before they are available. Her newest, Partita, is set for publication in early October. I hope to get my hands on it before years' end since I'm pretty far back in the line. Her book Demon Copperhead blew me away. I understand that Kingsolver used the royalties from the book to build a recovery house for drug addiction. Bravo!

Rachel Maddow
Better known as a primetime political commentator, Maddow has also written several excellent and thought-provoking books. I imagine a conversation with her could go for hours. I can't stop thinking about her book Prequel: An American Fight Against Fascism since it related to what is happening right now worldwide.

That's it.
A short list today.
How about you? 
What authors would you like meet over a cup of coffee with?
-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!!!