"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Friday Quotes: The End of Your Life Book Club

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
Th
e Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now---


Title: The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe


Book Beginning:
We were nuts about the mocha in the waiting room at Memorial Sloan-Kettering's outpatient care center. The coffee isn't so good, and the hot chocolate is worse. But if, as Mom and I discovered, you push the "mocha" button, you see how two not-very-good things can come together to make something quite delicious.
Friday 56:
Mom loved Marjorie Morningstar. That much I knew. How much she was or was not Marorie Morningstar herself remained her secret.
Comment: As the title implies Will's mother has cancer. They both love to read so they decide to start a book club of two. While they sit at her many appointments they decide to talk about the books they are reading. Marjorie Morningstar was his mother's favorite book when she was younger. Years ago I gave this book to my mother, even though I hadn't read it. She and I are both in book clubs in our separate towns. We often talk about the books we are reading and those we are discussing on our clubs. She liked this book a lot, though she told me, it isn't as much about the books as it is about the relationship between Will and his mother.

15 comments:

  1. I plan to read this book at some point. I spent a good deal of time at Memorial Sloan Kettering with a family member.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very intriguing.

    I might have read the cover backwards... those colors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anne,

    I think this book would be just too depressing for me, pretty much like just about every hospital waiting room I have ever sat in.

    I have a complete phobia about going inside hospitals, whether it be as a patient or visitor and drinking or eating anything which was actually produced on the premises, fills me with dread!

    Thanks for sharing and I hope that you take something away from the reading experience :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only about 1/3rd through the book and so far most of it isn't actually happening in the hospital or the out-patient center. But I bet that it ends up being sad.

      Delete
  4. In light of what you say, it did originally sound a bit depressing, but now I can see it's got a lot more going for it - about the relationshipe between mother and son, and hopefully a sad but happy and fulfilling ending. Can't wait to read your review.

    Here is mine: https://alternative-read.com/2017/09/22/tgif-friday56-read-with-instagram56-bookbeginnings-thetasteofbluelight-by-lydiaruffles-followfriday/

    The Taste of Blue Light - it's a like a young adult's version of The Bell Jar!

    Luv Sass
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have me curious for more! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of sharing books when you're going through a challenging time. The mention of "Marjorie Morningstar" reminded me of how much I enjoyed that book when I was younger, too.

    Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the premise of this book. Different from anything I've read. Sounds like a story I'd enjoy.
    My Friday post features Half Broke Horses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting but not something I would pick up. I don't do memoirs or nonfiction. I am featuring The Hunt by Chloe Neill this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like this could be an emotional read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds really interesting! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sad, but sweet sounding story. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find books like this so moving. My mom and I sometimes talk about the books we are reading, but not as often as I imagine we could. I am not familiar with Marjorie Morningstar, but will look it up. Thanks for sharing, Anne! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. While the basic concept for this story is obviously sad (a mother with cancer), I like the idea of the two-person book club that can bring them together. And what a great distraction during medical appointments.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would definitely need LOTS of Kleenex!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.