"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, March 24, 2017

Friday Quotes, Because of Winn-Dixie

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
Th
e Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now---


Title: Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo


Book Beginning:
My name is India Opal Buloni, and last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.
Friday 56:
And Winn-Dixie stood and stared back at her. He didn't hardly move. He didn't wag his tail. He didn't smile...He just stared at Gertrude [a parrot] and she stared at him. And then she spread her wings out real far and flew and landed on top of Winn-Dixie's head.
Comment: We had to have our dog put to "sleep" last night so I am feeling quite sad and tender today. I'd be honored if you would check out the tribute I wrote to Muffy here. Because of my sadness, today I decided to read a quick, middle-grade book about a wonderful dog, Because of Winn-Dixie written by a masterful author. Don't you just love the book beginning? I'm hoping that Winn-Dixie will work her magic on me like she did for Opal.

Anne

15 comments:

  1. Sounds adorable! I saw the movie, and loved it. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adored the movie, and I'm guessing the book is even better. The opening makes me want to know more, and the 56 excerpt made me smile. A delightful story.
    My Friday post features The Pecan Man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about Muffy; it's such a horrible and difficult decision even if you know it's the right decision. Reading Winn Dixie sounds like a perfect idea to me. Take the time and allow yourself to grieve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about Muffy. I think Because of Winn Dixie sounds like a nice thing to do for yourself today. I've never read the book but I loved the movie. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adored the movie and I bet the book is even better.

    So very sorry about Muffy. I hope you find comfort from the story.

    My Friday 56 from Beautiful Broken Girls

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really should read this book one of these days. The movie is a favourite of mine and I know how much things can change from book to movie, but I have a feeling that this one is amazing. Thanks so much for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the beginning! I am so sorry to hear about Muffy. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Somehow I've never read this - some day I'll have to try it!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard a lot about this book but never read it, but I love that beginning! And the thought of the parrot landing on the dog's head brings a smile. :) I am sorry to hear about your loss though, my condolences to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no, You are very brave to read this after losing Muffy. So sorry. Enjoy the book, it does look delightful. Loved the parrot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Confession: I've never read this book nor have I seen the movie. I was thinking of getting this for my niece, but she's still kind of young for a middle grade. I'm really sorry to hear about your pup. My first dog got sick and had to be put to sleep quite suddenly a few years ago and it wasn't easy saying goodbye. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful sounding book! I'm so sorry for your loss. I've been then more than once. :-( Thanks for visiting my blog! I'd love if your readers would too . . . http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsSAIJK

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a sweet read. I know there is a film but haven't seen it. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember reading this book with my kids.
    And I'm so sorry about your dog. Our dog is such an important part of our family - I dread the day when I have to say a final goodbye to him.
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.