"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, February 8, 2016

TTT: Valentine's Day theme: favorite love quotes in literature


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted at The Broke and Bookish

Top Ten Tuesday: In honor of upcoming Valentine's Day here are some of my favorite love quotes found in literature:

1.   “As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.” 
― John GreenThe Fault in Our Stars
2.  “Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering.” 
― Nicole KraussThe History of Love
3. “Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful or conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people’s sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes.” 
― Holy Bible: New International Version, 1 Corin. 13
4.  “Be with me always - take any form - drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I can not live without my life! I can not live without my soul!” 
― Emily BrontëWuthering Heights
5.  “How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach” 
― Elizabeth Barrett Browning

6. “Holding Eleanor's hand was like holding a butterfly. Or a heartbeat. Like holding something complete, and completely alive.” 
― Rainbow RowellEleanor & Park
7.  “Sometimes,' said Pooh, 'the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.” 
― A.A. Milne
8. “Love is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being "in love" which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. Your mother and I had it, we had roots that grew towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossom had fallen from our branches we found that we were one tree and not two.” 
― Louis de BernièresCorelli's Mandolin
9. “I'm in love with you," he said quietly.

"Augustus," I said.

"I am," he said. He was staring at me, and I could see the corners of his eyes crinkling. "I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.” 
― John GreenThe Fault in Our Stars
10. “You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope...I have loved none but you.” 
― Jane AustenPersuasion



11 comments:

  1. Great choices this week! :)

    And, a pretty sane one from Wuthering Heights!

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving these quotes Anne! :-) They made me smile and swoon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww these are so sweet and beautiful! I especially like the Corelli's Mandolin one. I've never read the book, but that quote is so wonderful. Here's my TTT :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corelli's Mandolin is one of those books which is quite difficult to read but so worth the effort. I love this quote which is a conversation between a father and his adult daughter.

      Delete
  4. That Wuthering Heights quote manages to make my heart ache every time. It's just so beautiful. They're all great choices though! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only Heathcliff and Cathy's relationship was healthier.

      Delete
  5. Such beautiful quotes! I love the A.A. Milne quote. And the second quote you shared from The Fault in Our Stars--I want to melt. The Eleanor and Park got me all giddy. I just loved that book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I was better about getting quotes! These are some great ones. I have ones picked from each of the Twilight books, my mom made us fancy shirts with embroidered quotes on the back for each movie premiere. But these days I feel like I read through so fast I don't catch many quotes. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are terrific. That second TFIOS quote to me sums up the theme of the book. And I've never heard of Corelli's Mandolin, but I love the mature take on long-term love. I've been married fifteen years, which is a blip in the grand scheme of things, and we are definitely one tree. Another part of TFIOS I loved was when someone is commenting to the blind kid that his girlfriend didn't sign up for all that, and he points out that love means sticking around for the parts you didn't sign up for as well. (Much better put in the book, of course.)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.