"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Friday Quotes, July 24

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City Reader
The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice
 
Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now: 

Book: X: a novel by Ilyasah Shabazz and Kekla Magoon

Book Beginnings: 
Harlem, New York, 1945. Friends tell me trouble's coming. I ease out of the restaurant onto the sidewalk, gun in my pocket. 
Friday 56: 
But they were always see-you-tomorrows good-byes, not see-you-I-don't-know-when. We've always been a walk or a shout away from one another. This is different. This is huge. 
Comments: X: a novel is a novelization of the formative years of Malcolm X. The style in which the story is told is not linear. It travels back and forth in time so we get the full picture of what made him who he was. Ilyasah Shabazz, one of the authors, is Malcolm X's daughter. The first quote is from the time he is running for his life during his rough period. The second quote is about the time he is moved into a foster home away from his mother and siblings.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like this could be an interesting story. I hope you're enjoying it.
    My Friday post features The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I have yet to decide if I like the book. The audiobook, in my estimation is NOT the way to go on this book. Makes it boring.

      Delete
  2. I saw the film and loved it, but haven't read the book.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Normally books that travel back and forth in time throw me but this one looks interesting. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen the film and read his autobiography, but this gives a new perspective on Malcolm's story. I like that his daughter is the co-author.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.