"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, August 8, 2014

Update on the death of Chris McCandless

Chris McCandless, 1992
Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer is one of the books GKHS students can read for their summer reading assignments. It is the account of a young man, Chris McCandless, who goes off to the wilds of Alaska and ends up starving to death. Or at least at face value he appeared to starve to death. Krakauer thinks he was inadvertently poisoned. Now there is more scientific evidence to prove that the later is true. Read this article by Jon Krakauer written for the New Yorker Magazine, September 12, 2013. It adds some new information that can be added to the discussion about the book.  Take a look.

3 comments:

  1. I still haven't read Into the Wild, but this definitely makes me more interested in it! I will be checking out the article, thanks for the link!
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very good book but it does leave the reader with a question in his/her mind. How did McCandless really die and why. This articles helps answer those questions.

      Delete
  2. Like Juli I haven't read this book but the story fascinates me. I watched a documentary on it a few years ago and I'm intrigued by this new evidence. Thanks for sharing it! I probably would've missed it.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.