"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Sunday Salon...Father's Day, June 17


Favorite readers
Weather today... Sprinkling and overcast.

Yesterday we picked up a small end table that we ordered to replace the wooden crate covered by a table cloth that we have been using for the past 30 years in our family room.  :)

Today is Father's Day. We are planning a family day of activities since this will be our last Father's Day together as our small family unit before our oldest daughter is married. I think we'll start with a quick lunch of hot dogs or something else manly. Then to the LeMay Car Museum in Tacoma which opened a few weeks ago.  Then off the the driving range to watch our golfer hit a few buckets of balls. Finally home to a wonderful dinner of BBQ salmon.  Sounds fun, huh?


***Update: Our decided upon plan was thwarted by the long line at the Car Museum.  We did get to the Red Hot Dogs Tacoma and all of us ordered a weird, but good dog.  Our favorite and the weirdest was the Hosmer Dog which is a hot dog with peanut butter and bacon.  I know, it sounds awful but it works!  We then attempted a picnic at a nearby park but it was too windy so we ate our dogs in the car looking at the park.  Next we drove back to Puyallup and went to our local putt-putt golf coarse.  We opted for the obstacle course rather than the water hazard course.  Don won and I came in last with the daughters sandwiched in between. We ended our adventure day at the Meeker Days celebration downtown and had a bowl of frozen yogurt. Now the salmon is marinating and Don is watching the US Open Golf tournament on TV.  Ah!

I'm reading the same book I was working on last week: 
  • The Butterfly Clues by Kate Ellison. It is a YA mystery. I have been reading it so slowly because this week was a full of evening activities and then exhaustion from the daily textbook returns. 
I'm listening to...actually I just went to the public library yesterday and five audiobook holds were waiting for me.  It is an example of the "feast and famine" phenomenon.  For the longest time I couldn't figure out what to listen to so I put in a lot of requests and they all arrived the same time.  What should I listen to first? 
  • The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
  • Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls
  • Zeitoun by Dave Eggers
  • Still Alice by Lisa Genova
  • The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe
(I just checked the library page and only Night Circus has other holds on their audiobook, so I will start with that one since I won't be able to renew it. And I just noticed that this audiobook is read by Jim Dale, the same voice actor who read the Harry Potter books with such acclaim.)

Book finished this week: 
  • Peace Like a River by Lief Enger.  I can't even begin to describe just how much I love this book.  It is the third time I've listened to it and I'd relisten again in a heartbeat.
Scripture lesson in church:


I'm praying for: my friend who just learned that she has non-smokers lung cancer.


Around the house: It is a mess. Two daughters home and long hours at work do not make for a tidy house.

From the kitchen: Copper River Salmon marinated in our special sauce as a Father's Day treat.  This is our family specialty.

Quote of the day: "She got her looks from her father.  He's a plastic surgeon." -Groucho Marx



6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have some really bust times ahead! Enjoy your books and family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about your friend!

    I need to read Half Broke Horses soon...it's on my Kindle, and I really enjoyed The Glass Castle.

    Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok that is some serious love for Dad if the family even goes to watch the man hit golf balls. :-D

    Mmm hot dogs and salmon sounds yummy!

    Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun day!! I read Night Circus and enjoyed it--weird book though. :) If your friend needs any support, please let me know. I've been navigating the lung cancer nightmare for the past year and a half. Non-smokers generally get adenocarcinoma instead of squamous cell though(what Patt has.) Treatment is very different for the two. Any idea of what stage or what kind? There are often gene mutations in non-smokers that will help direct them to a very specific chemo protocol. Anyway, if there is anything I can do, let me know!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like it's busy days around your house. Since I live in the same house as my dad I like to say that every day is father's (and mother's) day. But, we took a lovely walk to the beach together, which was really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of the audiobooks, but I was going to suggest The Night Circus, since I've heard such great things about it. So I agree with your decision!

    And I will have to take your word on the Hosmer Dog. I need my hot dogs a bit less...adventurous :-)

    Thanks for stopping by my Summer TBR list!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.