"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Pride and Prejudice --- The Graphic novel


Pride and Prejudice, the graphic novel (by Jane Austen, adapted by Nancy Butler, with artwork by Hugo Petrus) is a fun introduction to the classic book by the same title.
  • This book  is a collection of the 5 marvel comics that were put together in one-book format.
  • The diagrams are well done and the graphics easy to read.  See sample page from Marvel.com:



  • Reading this book compared to the original a bit like watching the Keira Knightly short version of the movie vs the BBC mini-series with Colin Firth.  The shorter movie is good but the mini-series is better.  I  liked this book but, of course, it doesn't hold a candle to the original.
  • It does include all the "best bits" from Austen's classic.  Even including the part about Wickham chasing Miss King for her money, which is usually not included in the movies or shortened versions of the book.
  • It took me one afternoon to read and I was interrupted quite often while I was reading it, so it may have only taken me a little over an hour to read.
  • Marvel also offers Sense and Sensibility in this format.  Once I figure out if this book will circulate I will look into purchasing that one.  I enjoyed it enough that I am ready for more!

4 comments:

  1. I think it's cool that there are a lot of ways to bring the story to modern readers, but I do agree that nothing can replace the actual original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got this one for my library as well, hoping it might be a gateway book for some students. If you've read the original or seen the BBC mini-series I think it's just ok. But, if you haven't done those things, I think it really works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great concept to introduce P&P to young people through a graphic novel! I wonder if there are many other classics done this way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like such fun! I've seen it pop up on Amazon a few times, but so far, I've refrained myself from buying a copy. :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.