"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, January 18, 2010

... and the 2010 Printz Award winners are....




The 2010 Printz Award Winner is:

Going Bovine
by Libba Bray

"Sixteen year old slacker, Cameron, sets off on a madcap road trip along with a punk angel, a dwarf sidekick, a yard gnome and a mad scientist, to save the world and perhaps his own life. This wildly imaginative modern day take on Don Quixote is complex, hilarious and stunning. The hero’s journey will never be the same after 'Going Bovine.'" -From ALA Website

One of my students told me that Going Bovine was going to be the winner and she was right. Unfortunately we didn't add it to our list of Mock Printz books until so late that few team members had a chance to read it. It is an incredible book. I heartily recommend this book, especially for those who enjoy quirky, off-beat tales. See my review of it here.

Printz Honor Books:

-Charles and Emma: The Darwins' Leap of Faith
by Deborah Heiligman

-The Monstrumologist
by Rick Yancey

- Punkzilla
by Adam Rapp

-Tales from the Madman Underground: An Historical Romance, 1973
by John Barnes

The Monstrumologist and Punkzilla were on our Mock Printz list. The Monstrumologist was wildly popular with my readers, even those who found it frightening, like me. Punkzilla, a stream-of-consciousness-style tale was not well liked by my readers, so, unfortunately, most students didn't finish reading it. I enjoyed both books eventually, even though they are not be the type of books I normally read.

Charles and Emma is a rare, non-fiction selection by the Printz committee. This book has been getting a lot of attention this year and I look forward to reading it soon.

I don't know much about Tales from the Madman Underground. I'll keep you posted as I have a chance to read it in the next few weeks.

Another happy note:

The Newbery Award Winner was When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead. I wanted that book to win that award. Yeah! Read what I had to say about this book here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.